SailNet Community banner
81 - 100 of 229 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
I find it very interesting that none of the "Tartan owning" Ohio-based posters have seen fit to reply in the last few days... :D A bit suspicious IMHO... and doesn't say much for their integrity or honesty. :)

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
It is good to know the character of the person you are doing business with. And forums such as this will educate us about the companies CEO's characters.
Good going Cam.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Would it be oxymoronic [is that even a word?] for a sailboat company to apply for a bailout?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Tartan/C&C's problems go way past just being financial.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Except the complete lack of corporate ethics and responsibility... :)
There is nothing you could name about Tartan that throwing large sums of money at couldn't fix.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
I would guess the are doing all of that in an effort to minimize bad PR that might affect a buy out. (Money) The reality is that it is likely to blow-up in their face. However, if they had large amounts of capital they wouldn't be worried about it and could start re-marketing their brand.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tartan Yachts

I always liked Tartan Yachts. During the past couple of years I've had exposure to two new boats and wasn't that impressed.
I saw a new one on the dock at a very reputable boat yard in Maine a couple of summers ago. The service crew was trying to repair several deck leaks. I was very suprised as it was a new boat.
Two years ago I looked at the Tartan 3400 at the Toronto International Boat show. The dealer told me that she was the Rolls Royce of yachts.:) I wasn't impressed with the build quality compared with older Tartans.

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
In the pen next to my boat there had been a what appeared to be a very nice Tartan. Not sure of the model (a big one), chatting to the couple that owned it they were going away for a weeks cruiseing in the local bays. Over 3 weeks later they have not returned, maybe it sank from hull leaks.. lol.

Mychael

·
Banned
27 Posts
Maybe it sank? I would hope you don't really think that's funny. Of course you don't I know. I did see on the Tartan website, they commented on the online community negative conversation thats been going on.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Fyi...

Hope this hasn't been posted before. This was taken from the Tartan website:

Interview with Tim Jackett
Quality and Warranty Issues

Question: How does the recently announced sale of the company affect claims for boats purchased and delivered prior to the transaction?

Jackett: The new company is committed to all owners of Tartan and C&C yachts and will continue to support the warranty for boats that predate the sale. All claims are being reviewed and administered through our dealers and by Andy Drumm on an uninterrupted basis. While there has been speculation by non Tartan and C&C owners on some of the sailing chat sites regarding this issue, our owners who have had recent claims know that their claims are being processed in our normal manner. Current Tartan and C&C owners are our greatest asset. We plan to increase our communications with them on service, technical information and other areas of common interest in the future and to not only provide continuous but improved support for all their boats.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Dude, I guarantee you that you will be sued.
Perhaps not entirely germane to the Tartan issue, but possibly of related interest. Here is an article from today's Washington Post that suggests caution to anyone hoping to shield themselves from liability via internet anonymity and/or free speech doctrine. Following the lead of some other states, the lower court in Maryland ruled against, and I'd wager the appeals court will sustain.

Internet Anonymity?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Yet, he doesn't mention the fact that he's been trying to engineer an assets-only sale of the company that would allow them to duck warranty liability as has happened previously. :)

Hope this hasn't been posted before. This was taken from the Tartan website:

Interview with Tim Jackett
Quality and Warranty Issues

Question: How does the recently announced sale of the company affect claims for boats purchased and delivered prior to the transaction?

Jackett: The new company is committed to all owners of Tartan and C&C yachts and will continue to support the warranty for boats that predate the sale. All claims are being reviewed and administered through our dealers and by Andy Drumm on an uninterrupted basis. While there has been speculation by non Tartan and C&C owners on some of the sailing chat sites regarding this issue, our owners who have had recent claims know that their claims are being processed in our normal manner. Current Tartan and C&C owners are our greatest asset. We plan to increase our communications with them on service, technical information and other areas of common interest in the future and to not only provide continuous but improved support for all their boats.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
True, but in the big picture their warrany liability is probably a drop in the bucket compared to some of their other debts they appear to have. Besides, any buyer would want to honor existing warranties. Otherwise they'd never sell another boat. The only scenario I can envision where they wouldn't want to honor those warranties is if they were going to "part out" the company and sell off everything.

·
996 Posts
T34...That post by Jackett dates back to the proposed asset sale to Grand River and was only posted on 5/7/08...months after the initial asset sale was announced in January. Since THAT deal never happened...it means nothing at this point. It has NOTHING to do with the current proposed sale to new buyers. There is NO info on the new deal, how it is structured, whether it is going through or what the treatment of existing owners will be.
I like to think the original post was at least somewhat in response to the ruckus we raised here about the warranties of existing owners. Nevertheless...a careful reading will reveal that even here...no LEGAL responsibility for the warranties was assumed...just an intent to support them. If they decided YOUR boat did not deserve the warranty service you believe it did, you would have no LEGAL recourse.

We shall see how the new buyers handle things if the deal goes through.

81 - 100 of 229 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.