SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask such a newbie question, but I've just registerd with sailnet and am tring to information on older Tartan yachts and I have no idea how to do. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
702 Posts
uh oh he said the T word!!!!!!!!! quick call the authorities, Crandall don't be scared someone will be here soon w/ actual info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for thedelayy just wandering blindly here.
I'm interested in a Tartan 42. Know nothing about them. Is it a cored hull? maintenance issues etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your help. I was hoping to pick the brain of somebody who has personal experience with the boat or similar model. May I assume that you have a Tartan 37?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
IT would help if you said which specific tartan models you were interested in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Specifically a 1981 Tartan 42. Southern boat. I'd like to use it for offshore sailing as well as coastal. I don't know very much about the Scheel Keel. Is the hull cored below the water line? Has anyone cruised this model or similar offshore extensively? Are there any well known problems with this model.
Those kinds of things.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
Crandell, sorry...I do not have a any personal experience with them. The Tartan Owners web page which I linked above got rid of their forum :( , which is unfortunate becasue there was a lot of info to be read there. Perhaps you could get some info from them (TONE) or the Chesapeake Bay Tartan Sailing Club (CBTSC). If you PM me with your email I could copy you in to an email to some of my friends at the CBTSC.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I should have refreshed the page before replying... got a phone call in the middle of my reply, and when I replied, he hadn't indicated which model he had yet.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Crandall...the anything-sailing thread mentioned above does NOT affect your decision on the Tartan 42 in any way. That is only about the current company and boats under warranty.
Suggest you ask your specific Tartan 42 questions at the TONE forum on yahoo groups: tartansailing : Tartan Sailing
You will likely find some current owners there.

·
Registered
919 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a wisenheimer, a google search is a good place to start, as well. (You have probably already done this.) Put it in quotes so you don't come up with too much extraneous stuff.

Older Tartans are great boats.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Crandall, I have a Tartan 41. The Tartan 42 has a solid glass hull, and cored deck. Is a good offshore cruiser in all seas. All Tartan yachts of that era were well built boats. As others have said, google Tartan 42 for a wealth of information. Here's one for sale on the Texas coast...good luck..
Yachts For Sale

1 - 20 of 20 Posts