SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother-in-law bought a boat in Florida and went offshore for the closing and didn't pay any tax. He is a dual citizen, Canadian and Argentine, living in Argentina (sailing the Caribbean).
I am wondering about registration as a Canadian and Tax issues which would be the best for me. I am not taking the boat to Canada but will be keeping it in the Caribbean. The tankers are all registered in Panama. If I register in Canada the taxes are wow. Any suggestions????

Thanks!!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You'd really need to consult an attorney versed in tax law for canada, but I would point out that if you're in US waters for more than 90 days, that you'll generally be paying some sort of taxes on the boat regardless.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
When I bought Imagine in the Caribbean. I registered the boat in my glorious home state Ca. Ca. actually drops the taxes after 6 months if you can prove the boat never entered Ca. within that time......i2f

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"I registered the boat in my glorious home state Ca. Ca. actually drops the taxes after 6 months if you can prove the boat never entered Ca. within that time"
That's got to be the shortest and most generous sales/use tax policy in the entire US! No wonder Cali is going bankrupt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts