SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tayana 42 fuel tank question.

Cruising friend wants to add an 80 gallon diesel tank or tanks to his Tayana 42. He feels he is nose heavy at the present time and hence is reluctant to put them under the V-berth.

Anyone added tank(s) with that general capacity to that ship and where were they located.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Anywhere but forward under the vee berth.
Some Tayanas are built with tanks under the vee berths - not too good! Also consider if you add extra ground tackle .... this plus the added weight from the forward tanks will greatly enhance ''hobby-horsing'' (extreme pitching) of the hull.
Keep the weight in the middle, keep the ends light.
You might want to pose the same question on the Tayana Owners Group here on Sailnet. I have a bow tank on my Tayana and am seriously thinking to eventually rip it out and relocate to the middle.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On T37 Aries: Added fiberglas tank under salon starbd settee, capacity 110g.; abandoned fwd tank, it does make the bow act like a plow. Ran the diesel fill hose inside the wet locker and through the deck; vent is in the same locker and well above the top of the tank. Sometime in the future will remove old black iron tank under vee berth and put in a sail locker. Par for the course, I''m running out of room for ''stuff''
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.