SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our recently purchased Tayana 55 is undergoing some extensive work at out local boatyard and while we taking apart the centerboard winch mechanism, it was damaged beyond repair.There is no manufacturer name plate on it and I am trying to find a replacement or an alternative to it to be able to raise and lower the centerboard. Here are the pictures-from the gear mechanism. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, whether by identifying it or letting me know if they know of a suitable replacement, it would be much appreciated.

Lemur
3FF07298-2783-4FF5-81F6-0BAD2D27A241.jpeg

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have friend that just replaced his winch on a 45' steel CB ketch about 7500# centerboard. he used a new Jeep winch rated at 12000 # . mounted it on top of the truck sideways with cable facing down. it is 12v and came with Dyeema line for cable and is a waterproof sealed unit . cost less then $500. says it has never worked so good and smooth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your reply. Capt Len, you are the second one to mention that it looks like a boat trailer winch. I have been looking all over on the internet to find something similar, at least as a starting point. This winch fits an enclosure in the engine compartment, I am going to try to post a pic. I would have said no way this is the original winch but I don’t know what to make of the enclosure, whether that was original as well or the entire thing was mcgyvered...

·
Registered
26 Posts
How is it damaged beyond repair? If it is like my keel winch, it is NOT a boat trailer winch. My keel winch, and the one in the photo above, has a friction.clutch that prevents it from free-wheeling and letting the keel drop as the winch handle flys around in a circle like an airplane propeller breaking your wrist in the process. With a keel winch, the weight of the keel keeps the brake engaged and you have to force the cable down with the winch handle. I found them on Amazon. Search for keel friction winch. You probably want a double reduction winch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply. They busted a bearing when trying to disassemble it to fix something else. One of the ball bearings got into the gears and damaged them, but they were able to file them down acceptably. The problem is that the ball bearings and the bearing assembly itself is not standard size and they cannot find a replacement. It is an electric winch so no handle. I wish I could find at least a diagram of the blasted thing or find out who the manufacturer was. Contacting the boat manufacturer was not helpful at all.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,745 Posts
Asian boat yards often made their own hardware using a mix off-the-shelf parts, parts made for other purposes, and custom castings and machined parts. I would be skeptical that the original winch was a trailer winch. In fact I would have expected to see a worm gear that would hold the board in a partially raised condition.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
isn't the board about 8000# so the winch has to lift around 4000#

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think Jeff nailed this one. That winch looks a lot like the extension winch I had an old crane years ago that was built before the advent of hydraulic extension tubes. I'm thinking that a good machinist could repair it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts