SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
All our best Womby to you and your dear Mother especially.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Andrew:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My family's thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. We wish you healing and hope.

David and the crew of the Kyrie

·
19,485 Posts
Please accept our condolences as well, and we hope he led a deeply satisfying life.....

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
My condolences Andy. If there's anything we can do, please let me know.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Thanks to you all. Funeral is on Friday so I'll be back on deck early next week.

Hal was pushing 90, he had a heart condition and suffered a previous coronary a couple of weeks back. The doctors had told us the next one was inevitable and it would almost certainly take him out. It came and it did but he was at home with my mother and his much loved dog until a couple of hours before his death. He didn't linger, he didn't suffer and he didn't have to undergo the ignominy of spending his final days in a nursing home or hooked up to a life support system. That's all for the good.

To be kind one would say he was something of an eccentric. I've been known to suggest he was barking mad. The truth lay somewhere twixt those two views. His politics made the Sailnet Rightwing Ratbag Society look like a bunch of bleeding heart liberals and the Vietnam war years were not a time of great peace on the young wombat's homefront. He was not a man to easily cope with a long haired, dope smoking, peacenik with a penchant for acid rock. For my mother's sake we tended to leave Ronald Reagan out of the conversation when I visited.

He really did think the USA portrayed in the movies was the real thing and while I may have disagreed with that utopian vision we still shared a love of Western Swing, Flying Machines and big old US automobiles. He actually owned General Douglas McCarthur's staff car from McCarthur's time in Australia during WWII. Big black V12 Ford Lincoln Zephyr. Nice. We'll be playing Don't Fence Me In, Mexicali Rose and a few Bob Wills tunes at the funeral. Have to be CDs though cos Bing Crosby and Gene Autrey are past their prime and I don't have the time to fly Asleep at the Wheel over from the US. (yeah right, or the money....:))

Still and all we made our peace with each other over the years and we spent well over an hour on the phone two days before he died. I guess deep down he knew his time had come cos he gave me the full life history. Sure I'd heard it all before and it changed with every telling but that was cool.

Simple fact is that he was a good man though one of those souls whose lives were forever defined by the period 1935 - 1955. Everything after that, quite frankly, he found somewhat bewildering. There was never a dog that didn't like him. Now that says a lot about a person cos dogs and horses....they usually are better judges of character than people.

Ok then, enough of all that. I'm on my bike, Thanks again for the kind words, catch you all next week.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Andrew,

That's one hell of a fine eulogy. What a fellow your dad was! Reminds me very much of my own father -- right down to the dogs.

I'm sure you'll conjure a nice send-off for him. A guy as politically astute as that deserves nothing less.:)

You're in our thoughts. Take care, John

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Ditto that Andrew..very nice words indeed.

I would have liked your dad, quite a lot I should think.

Big bear hugs to you and your Mother my old friend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. The problem with life is that we don't live forever. It is never the right time to leave and we who are left behind do feel pain. I am grateful that he did not have to suffer or live in a nursing home and was surrounded by that that he loved to the end. It has been almost two years for my dad and it is rough.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts