SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO

I am 27 F hairdresser living in brooklyn. I am in love with the water and want to learn to sail so much. I have been reading about it have stayed on a few boats and am in love with it. I would love to live aboard a boat someday moored somewhere beautiful. I want to learn everything there is to know about sailing safely etc.

this is kinda a long shot but i figured it would be worth a shot. I am extremely hard working and in shape and stronger than I look.

Also if you know any good sailing school in the tristate area that charges on sliding scale please let me know.

·
Administrator
7,715 Posts
I'll be in NYC from mid June and will need a haircut by then. I hope you can tame shaggy sun-bleached hair and I will take you for a sail on the Hudson

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Acasia,

I can't imagine how many old guys like me have come and gone to this post! Wife walks in. "It's Jake . . from State Farm!" OY!

Anyway, welcome to the asylum. If you haven't a boat, probably the best bet would be to hook up with a sailing club of some sort. It looks like Jerry was pointing you that way. Good call. Another great way would be to pick up a sailing dinghy on Ebay, something you can girl-handle yourself, and sail like crazy in the bay. Be sure to have a wet suit and all the proper gear. Sailing a dingy is like wearing ballet slippers hiking; nothing that you touch goes unnoticed. You feel everything, every puff, every twitch of the sail. And you see immediately the effect of trimming your sails. I never did that, but I never wore ballet slippers . . . wait . . . there was that one time but no photos were taken. One great thing to do, highly recommended, you're nuts if you don't, get in on a "Sailing and Seamanship Course" from your local USCGA Power Squadron. It's a fairly inexpensive way to take a great class on sailing, seamanship (go figure), rules of the road, buoys, marker, lights, all kinds of stuff that will keep you safer on the water. So when you sail out and you have 20 lobster boats, 15 yacht's, a bevy of dinghies in a race around the buoys, an oil tanker, 4 kayakers ( AKA speed bumps), 3 ferries and an untold number of power boaters, some with fishing rods, others with beers (and fishing rods) and they're all converging on you, and your cell phone rings . . . what do you do? You'll know.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
And most of us always suggest that your read, read, read. Sailing for Dummies is actually a great book to start off with. You can find used copies for next to nothing. Good luck. I used to be 27 and went to Brooklyn Tech. :)

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I don't know about Brooklyn, but the American Red Cross of NYC at least used to have a basic sailing class on Flushing Meadow Lake every spring/summer, very inexpensively. That might be one way to get started, check with them.

As to sliding scales, AFAIK no one has them.

But once you've gotten some basic experience, at least one course with anyone, you can also literally walk the docks and ask around before weekday evening races "Does anyone need crew?" and there is almost always someone who does. That will gain you some more experience and contacts, and even if you have no interest in racing (which can be kind nuts) the skill set is very transferable to plain cruising and messing around in boats, it is a very good way to get started. In Brooklyn you'll find marinas and yachts club hidden along Sheepshead Bay, among other places.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
HELLO

I am 27 F hairdresser living in brooklyn. I am in love with the water and want to learn to sail so much. I have been reading about it have stayed on a few boats and am in love with it. I would love to live aboard a boat someday moored somewhere beautiful. I want to learn everything there is to know about sailing safely etc.

this is kinda a long shot but i figured it would be worth a shot. I am extremely hard working and in shape and stronger than I look.

Also if you know any good sailing school in the tristate area that charges on sliding scale please let me know.
There are lots of folks here from the Hudson/LIS so you should be able to find a few rides. My boat, and myself won't likely be ready to be giving any lessons till late summer at the earliest, but if by then you are welcome to come for a ride.

By the way watch out for this guy! He seems to have an endless supply of very cold beer, it can be dangerous! Lots of fun though.

I'll be in NYC from mid June and will need a haircut by then. I hope you can tame shaggy sun-bleached hair and I will take you for a sail on the Hudson
Your going to be in town again this summer? I will have to have you up to my boat for dinner and beers, now that I have one! (not that it will likely have it's rig up this season :frown ) But I should have a working stove and refrigerator!

Oh and I really could use a hair cut!

·
Administrator
7,715 Posts
You guy's don't know an SA troll by now?

I already thought that one through: We sail down harbor. Then if she doesn't cut my hair she swims back.
If she cuts my hairs so I look real kewl she gets an invite back next weekend :)

·
美國佬
621 Posts
I already thought that one through: We sail down harbor. Then if she doesn't cut my hair she swims back.
If she cuts my hairs so I look real kewl she gets an invite back next weekend :)
And if you tell her that mermaid joke* she stops halfway through the haircut and jumps overboard herself...

*the one in your youtube video

1 - 11 of 11 Posts