SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 29 footer soon, which I will be mooring in Newport, Oregon.

I am looking for someone interested in teaching me sailing. I have only sailed twice, both over 20 years ago, so I could use some experience before I take my boat out.

If you would like a First Mate -- or Second or Third for that matter -- I would love the opportunity to get some experience. I will probably take the classes offered on the Central Oregon Coast, but I think being out with a Skipper would be better.

Tony

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
What 29 footer are you buying? I would highly recommend taking at least a basic "Learn to Sail" course, like the ASA 101 course before proceeding with private lessons. This will give you a solid basic foundation on the terminology as well as basic sailing theory, which will make communicating with whoever comes to sail with you much simpler.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Look into Yaquina Bay Yacht Club

My wife and I just took beginner lessons at Yaquina Bay Yacht Club this fall. We hung around and met some good people at the club and I bet you would find someone there to sail with. They have a website,
yaquinabayyachtclub.org and are located next door to Englund's Marine on Bay Blvd. Check the calendar for a meeting and send an email to someone on the "Contact us" link.

My wife and I have never sailed before our lessons and we had a blast. Exhausting but fun couple of weekends in Lido 14's and the people in the club were very friendly. We live in the Willamette Valley.
Mike

·
1,000 Posts
Talk with Sailaway21..he is really the best there is to learn how to sail...
Send him a pm, and ask him to teach you to sail...he is an extraordinary sailor, and masters all aspects of a sailboat and sailing..

You will laugh a lot....too.

Wear a PFD, all times...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts