SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone tell me where in the New York area I can find teak and holly cabin sole material, from which I can cut out my own replacement floor boards? I own a C&C 99, and the thickness of the boards is 2/3". I heard about a place in Texas, but was hoping to find someplace local. Thanks!

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
If you're matching the new T. &. H. sole to the existing, purchasing pre-made T. &. H. plywood could be a problem. It varies in width of the teak and width of the holly from one manufacturer to the next.

Here at the boatyard where I work, when the carpenters have to make a repair to a T. &. H. sole, they rip holly strips (actually it's a white wood other than holly - I don't know what - our supplier doesn't stock holly) and teak strips of the same widths and epoxy them onto marine grade plywood - or sometimes, just glue them edge to edge.

Sounds labor intensive, but if you have a table saw, it's not difficult. Just rip it, glue it up, sand it down, cut to fit and install it. The hard part is matching the finish.

If you don't need to butt the repair end to end then anything thats close will work - but there are a lot of variances in the widths so get measurements before you purchase - or it may look odd.

Good luck!

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Try Boulters Plywood in Mass. It is on the internet and they have very good service and competitive pricing. I have bought from them several times over the last 10 years and they always treat me well.
DD

·
purveyor of mischief
533 Posts
hey sparkie...

doug,
gotta love a boat that when dialed in, can be sailed w/ your toes.
i love J Boats...i have never been disappointed driving or riding on one.
and now i know when i need wood stuff, where to go.
happy 2nd of may to all.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,286 Posts
Could someone tell me where in the New York area I can find teak and holly cabin sole material, from which I can cut out my own replacement floor boards? I own a C&C 99, and the thickness of the boards is 2/3". I heard about a place in Texas, but was hoping to find someplace local. Thanks!
You should be able to order that ply thru any local lumber yard and pick it up locally.

When replacing my sole several years ago, I actually just delivered all the pieces (14) of the original floor to a local full-service lumber yard, and they ordered the wood, then used the pieces as a pattern to cut a full new floor. It worked out well, for about $900 all in.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I went to Condon's. The stuff they sold me matched exactly what Tillotson-Pearson put in 20+ years ago.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I live in tri-state area. ditto on M.L. Condon. that is where I would go.

btw - that C&C 99 is probably only a few years old - why replace the floorboards?

·
Registered
4 Posts
teak and holly laminate

To all cabin sole restorers:
I am redoing my floors in teak and holly plastic laminate by worldpanel.com
Got the idea from Beneteau boats that use it. I ran out of material and when
I went to re-order they no longer make the same dimensions so am looking
for some more if anyone out there has bought this product and have leftovers. Dimension of the teak
part is 2" and the holly part is 1/4".

Mahalo from Kaneohe,
Mike

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Honsail-

You'd really be better off not hijacking this thread and starting your own, with a new subject. Also, I would highly recommend you read the post in my signature to help you get the most out of sailnet.

To all cabin sole restorers:
I am redoing my floors in teak and holly plastic laminate by worldpanel.com
Got the idea from Beneteau boats that use it. I ran out of material and when
I went to re-order they no longer make the same dimensions so am looking
for some more if anyone out there has bought this product and have leftovers. Dimension of the teak
part is 2" and the holly part is 1/4".

Mahalo from Kaneohe,
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts