SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a new Jeanneau SO 409 and I am wondered if anyone has an opinion about cockpit floor. Boat will be in the Chesapeake Bay Area, not really salty water. I like teak floor better, however I have been told it is hard to maintain. I believe I can still change the option and upgrade or downgrade.
Thank you.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
plastic for me. Opinion it will last longer. Not as nice to look at. How many are going to see your floor ? You will have to be happy. I do not think it will matter that much as long as you and the crew are happy.
Good day, Lou

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I'd get rid of the teak on the seats if I could! NO teak on a deck or seat etc, other than handrails......

Marty

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I have teak cockpit sole, seats, and *ahem* decks. I haven't found the maintenance to be a problem. Regular moppings, even in brackish water seem to be fine. Work across the grain as much as possible. Every couple of years I use Boracol on the deck. I don't bother in the cockpit.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Teak is better looking, a natural non-skid too. I would prefer a removable teak deck, not one bonded, and certainly not one screwed in.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I would go with the plastic floor and have a local shipwright or carpenter friend make you a teak drop in for the cockpit no glues or screws. fasteners could lead to leaks in the deck

·
Whitewater to Seawater
88 Posts
Hello JL... As long as you don't mind leaving your teak go to natural grey, I don't see much maintenance issue with a teak cockpit floor. Just brush with a teak cleaner and rinse a couple times a year. The only downside of an all weathered grey teak cockpit is that they look a bit sad... My benches are teak, cockpit floor is white polyester. Floor is easy to maintain but get dirty quick unless you enforce the shoe police 100% which I don't...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thierry, Thanks for your response, i will go for teak in cockpit if I can still make the modification.
Did you take your boat off the water for the winter?

·
Whitewater to Seawater
88 Posts
Keeping her in the water, I have a quick engine de-winterizing system and try to take her out a few times during the winter.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I would go with the plastic floor and have a local shipwright or carpenter friend make you a teak drop in for the cockpit no glues or screws. fasteners could lead to leaks in the deck
Exactly. I love my floating floor; all of the sand and small bits drop through, keeping much out of the cabin. Several times a year I lift the deck and flush out the mess. Beats walking on grit, which I hate.

Certainly you could get fancier than this, but it illustrates how simple it can be.

Sail Delmarva: A Teak Cockpit Floor for $145.00 Plus an Hour of Your Life

The marvel is that it has stayed looking fresh, 2 years later. The plastic floor was never clean for more than 10 minutes, or so it seemed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts