SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
634 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After mucho sanding and cleaning, I spent the weekend applying first three coats of varnish on the cockpit teak. See below the before, during, and after pics. First two coats thinned 1:1 and third coat full strength. Here is the unorthodox part. I use a Minwax product call spar varnish. I love the way it did my interior teak and after a fair amount of research decided to try exterior. I went for the glossy which even after just three coats has a very deep clean look. We shall see about durability. Anyway thought I would share...

Attachments

· Registered
634 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going with the Minwax SV, straight off a HD shelf, I thought I was using something more designed for outdoor furniture and such. My research did not identify vry many using it for marine purposes. But some test results I read indicated it may be more durable. Time will tell. I am hoping for something that once a year I can go around with 1000 grit, acetone wipe and recoat. I would be happy to invest that much time and effort yearly to keep it nice. However the comment about urethanes darkening does leave me with concerns... hmmmm...

· Registered
634 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had good luck with ssyarbeofht cleaner ahead of varnish after again mucho sanding to get below weathering...

· Registered
634 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That interior shot of the minwax is how mine came out too but no pics till new cushion covers are done. :) that might just coincide with varnish coat number 8 depending on weather and work schedule...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.