SailNet Community banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Reaction score
Beware of Minwax Wipe on Poly. It grows mold and mildew in damp environments like it was designed to.
The wipe on poly is only brush-on poly that's been thinned. Mold can grow on the surface because the surface is not adequately sealed and because enough coats have not been applied (I use either wipe on ply or Zinsser Sealcoat). I use Minwax Wipe-on Poly almost exclusively with my furniture builds. I have never had mold grow on it. This is what Wipe-on Poly gets you.

· Registered
488 Posts
Reaction score
Nice work Sabreman.

I have plenty of varnish on the boat. The head is finished with Captain's varnish as are some of the high use areas. The head had some mold growth and it wiped off with no effect on the finish. When I removed the mold from the Poly coated areas there was no finish left. There were 5 coats in the v-birth, 2 more than recommended. I applied the Wipe On Poly over the 26 yr old factory oil finish that was still in perfect condition.

Actually, just looked at the cabinet doors again and recalled they had 8 coats each.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.