SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Aren't these guys supposed to be professionals? It's one thing to perhaps lose a rig when you get rolled in the Southern Ocean, or in a storm. But to run aground and lose the boat? Even if you draw 20+ feet, there are lots of deep places to sail fast in. I've been on a ketch where we banged the bottom while racing, but we raised the centerboard and kept going. Did they forget they're not in a dinghy?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hey, as they say, "it's just a matter of time before you run aground like a VOR sailor".

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Unfortunately, this is going to put a huge dent in Nico's sailing career. That sucks. I really admire the guy.

It sounds pretty dicey. They are in the middle of nowhere. I hope Alvi can help them.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
This makes me feel better about running into a rock at 6+knots in a Catalina 400 under spinnaker a couple years ago.

(Wasn't the driver or navigator at the time btw)

Medsailor

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Like a race car hitting a wall because the driver got too close trying to cut his time.

I'm sure they thought they were going to miss the reef by several feet. :D

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Very lucky there were no injuries as they hit at 19 knots. Though of course most might have been sleeping in their bunks. Looks like a pretty big reef wonder how many people were supposed to be on watch? A good reminder how things can break bad even with an experienced crew and a boat tricked out with all kinds of electronics.:confused:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sad to see that boat all busted up, but that's racing, I guess. NASCAR sure goes through them fast. Glad no one was hurt.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts