SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About five years ago there was a thread about the ElectroGuard No.7 teardrop zinc used on Pacific Seacraft boats. These are no longer available, as far as I can tell.

The distance between the fasteners is 1.75" (1 3/4"), the length is 3.625" (3 5/8"), and the width is 1.625" (1 5/8").
I can't seem to find a bolt on replacement.

What is everyone using?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use: T-20 Small Teardrop Zinc T-20 Small Teardrop Zinc Anode. From the measurements you quote, it sounds like perhaps my fastener distance is very different from yours.
Yes, on my 1990 37 the center to center dimension for the mounting screws is 1.750". A few spares were included with the boat and I'm down to my last one. I took the measurements off of it, along with the brand and model number.

Sea Shield Marine makes a similar teardrop that has one mount screw location slotted, but the maximum distance between the screws possible on that zinc is 1.625". I could elongate the slot, but I want to see if a bolt on zinc exists out there.

I know many PS boats have this issue and hope someone will chime in.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I use a CMT20 or CAMP T-20.

When we bought Irish Eyes in 2004, I tried to clean up the threads in one of the gudgeon zinc mounting holes. I broke the tap off in the hole. I moved over to the other side of the gudgeon and drilled and tapped two new holes. When I replaced the prop shaft last year, I had to drop the rudder. I took the opportunity to remove the accumulated bottom paint from the gudgeon. With the paint off I discovered several more holes one of which had a broken bolt in it.

You may have other screw holes already there. If you need to make new holes, it is not a hard job.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Banned
263 Posts
On at least one occasion I replaced the zinc on my 37 with a slightly larger teardrop, drilling an extra hole in it so it'd fit on. But recently I got lucky and found some teardrops, which fit perfectly, in a small chandlery. I will try to remember to check the brand and number the next time I'm on the boat.

Bill: How did you prep the gudgeon to get the paint to stick? I admit to not having much luck with this. I dove on the boat last weekend and had to scrape off barnacles. They love that gudgeon -- and of course the prop (also no luck finding a prop paint that actually works).

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Sea Shield TD-S fits Swan. I just bought 10 of them from WM. It exactly fits the gap between the gudgeon bolts and the screw holes (via the slot) but there must be some variation out there on the screw holes.

Dave Mancini
PSC 34 "Swan"

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bill: How did you prep the gudgeon to get the paint to stick? I admit to not having much luck with this. I dove on the boat last weekend and had to scrape off barnacles. They love that gudgeon -- and of course the prop (also no luck finding a prop paint that actually works).
While I put five or six coats of Interprotect on the cleaned-to-metal keel several years ago and have spot primed the keel and the bronze thru hull mushrooms annually with Interprotect, I did nothing with the gudgeon. It was just painted with antifouling - Micron CSC or Extra in shark white. I was in a rush to get the boat back in the water. Yes, it can be a barnacle magnet.

I have been painting the prop (two blade, solid) annually with one coat of silicone caulk diluted to a brushing consistency with Coleman stove fuel. I have tried several brands of silicone, but the Loctite that is recommended for aquariums has been the best. It typically lasts from my November haulout and splash to about August when the first barnacles begin to attach. Scrapping them off destroys the coating, and all their cousins, children, and grandchildren move in. This year I am trying the (undiluted) flowable windshield sealing silicone caulk from Permatex, 81730. I'm too cheap to pay for the commercial prop treatments.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just had a phone call with electro guard. Thier web page needs updating but they do have the teartdrop zincc.

George S/V SACHEM

·
Registered
147 Posts
There are two electro-guard companies both in California.

You want the one at: Electroguard - Boat Anode Zincs -> phone number is 877-340-4627

Here's a link to the teardrop webpage (it may be out of date at some point, but it works for me today):Electro Guard Teardrop Anodes

Happy shopping!

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts