SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been done before, but I haven't seen it... (I know we've done boat names, and that never gets old.) There are some very interesting, unique, and funny usernames here. Let's start a thread whereby we explain the story behind the name. Here's mine...

MOoNFiSH - Back in the 80s/early 90s I wanted to start my own advertising agency/production company. And for years I wanted to call it "Bingo, Bango, Boingo". Of course, within the ad world, everyone thought that was a cool, creative name and quite catchy. I even thought the receptionist could shorten it and answer the phone, "Good morning, B-cubed." Until one day I was having a conversation about it with my ex, and she said that though Bingo, Bango, Boingo might be hip in the ad world, some "conservative" potential clients/companies might think it "immature". I considered her comment a slight insult, but then we began to try to think of another name. Eventually, as she collected tropical fish stuff, and I was a moon lover (the one in the sky), she blurted out, "I know, Fish and Moon Advertising." Without missing a beat, I immediately replied "Moonfish..." And so it stuck. Just so happens to go with the sailing/water world, too.

And I designed it to utilize the combination of lower case and caps so that no matter what font was used, the integrity of the "logo" was retained. Thus MOoNFiSH...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
imagine2frolic,
Imagine is my current boat named after Lennon's song.
Frolic was my first boat a 30ft. Columbia 1972. The name was there when I arrived.............i2f

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
MGMhead, my three initials and a contraction of my last name. I've been using it for years and I've never heard of another. Hey, it's easy for me to remember too.

MGM

·
Registered
323 Posts
Montenido - It is the name of the neighborhood that I live in. Off Malibu Canyon in the Los Angeles area. Unique and easy to remember. Now my avatar... I just love the bewildered look on Mel's face in his booking photo. 'Nuff said.

Bill

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
It is something of perennial this one but for the record

T - Townes - a nod to my favourite songwriter and the man who turned me on to real country music.

D - don't mean a thing......in the old days of Usenet my moniker was Townes D Wombat.......just sounded more high falootin' with the D added. That was then, this is now.

W - Wombat - Hey, I'm Australian and Kangaroos are a bit passe......and you have to admit The Womboat has a nice ring to it. (Kangarooboat ? I don't think so. ) Kangaroos are also quite popular when BBQed and with SD around that could get me on the lunch menu....not even a Texan would think about eating Wombat....

·
O'day 26
206 Posts
mine does not requrie much explanation, name joey - last name starts with -b and I live in kansas city mo. - joeybkcmo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Twisty is short for mistwist. Which was the name I used for 6 months of deception and sweet, sweet revenge.

In a nut shell, girl meets guy, they date for over a yr, guy gets caught cheating, tho he doesn't know it. Girl pretends to be someone else on the internet for months then says lets meet.

Screen name $0
Countless hours pretending to be someone else $0
The look on his face when he figures out he is busted... PRICELESS!

Plus it is shorter than what he now calls me. :D

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
When we joined we had no idea we were supposed to be clever. So we just used our names. And had to run it all together because the input screen didn't like spaces. I guess that just brings us closer together.

The signature? Saltwater Suzi is a song I wrote for her one Valentines Day when I forgot to get a gift and a card. It kept me out of trouble. Want me to sing it for you?

Cap'n Larry - cuz, um, I got a license to say so?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Twisty— :D I bet you wish you have a video of the meeting... :)

TDW— I never would want to eat wombat...just make a hat out of the fur...:)

Sailingdog... my wife's nickname for me was big dog, and I sail.. :)

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
AllThumbs.

I wanted something that reflected my love for working with my hands, but at the same time wanted to be humble about it. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Twisty— :D I bet you wish you have a video of the meeting... :)

TDW— I never would want to eat wombat...just make a hat out of the fur...:)

Sailingdog... my wife's nickname for me was big dog, and I sail.. :)
Oh how I wish I had a video of it! I was racing cars at the time and I had scheduled the whole thing from the beginning around a weekend I would be in out of town, I told him(as the other woman) that i lived in a town which just happened to be about 20 miles from where I was racing. We were to meet at a store parking lot.. When I walked out of the store he didn't know exactly what to do. For a moment I saw a flicker of panic and then it hit him, he had been had. Looking back now, it was the greatest moment in our doomed relationhip...LOL

1 - 20 of 91 Posts