SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live on the Mighty Mississippi and currently sail a San Juan 21 from our own dock. Time for a change and we are serious about a Telstar 28. Thin water, fast, capabl and trailerable. Planning to inspect a couple boats in the next weeks. Prefer 2006 or newer. May move the boat seasonally - up north in Le Claire on the Miss during summers and move to Keys for winter. Longest stay on board expected to be a week.

Anything in particular we should be looking for? There boats are relatively simply so expect normal hull and rigging inspection. Have not heard of issues with folding mechanism. Is water in amas a problem? Currently have a lead swing keel. Are there any issues with Centerboard on Telstar? Any rudder, delam or structural issues to look for?

Thanks for your help (Salty Dog). Mike

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Sadly, Daniel Kim, aka Salty Dog, lost his Telstar 28 in a fire some years ago. He can be found on facebook. He would be the Daniel Kim in the Boston area if you look for him on facebook. I don't think that Salty Dog has posted on SailNet for quite a while.

You sound like you have a pretty good grasp of the issues you should be concerned about with these boats. I'd want to have a good look inside the center board slot to check for possible previous groundings. If you are in doubt then try to find a good surveyor.

One hint: don't leave anything plugged into your boat while you are away.

There are other catamaran sailors here and possibly other Telestar owners who might chime in.

Welcome to SailNut.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
Sadly, Daniel Kim, aka Salty Dog, lost his Telstar 28 in a fire some years ago. He can be found on facebook. He would be the Daniel Kim in the Boston area if you look for him on facebook. I don't think that Salty Dog has posted on SailNet for quite a while.

You sound like you have a pretty good grasp of the issues you should be concerned about with these boats. I'd want to have a good look inside the center board slot to check for possible previous groundings. If you are in doubt then try to find a good surveyor.

One hint: don't leave anything plugged into your boat while you are away.

There are other catamaran sailors here and possibly other Telestar owners who might chime in.

Welcome to SailNut.
Don't you guys mean sailingdog, not Salty Dog?

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
I couldn't imagine you are considering buying a boat that you might sail offshore around the Keys w/o a survey. At any rate, if you are planning on insuring the boat, you will need a professional survey.
There are a number of multihull sites on the web and they may be able to point you to a surveyor in your area that can do a good multihull survey.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I don't think that Salty Dog has posted on SailNet for quite a while.
Off topic, but why doesn't Sailingdog post here anymore?

When I'm looking up stuff in old threads it looks like he used to post all the time. Like, ALL the time.

Did he get into one of those stupid arguments with someone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After our Florida boat search trip,
here's what we learned ...

Insurance Survey:
Not Needed Under 20 Years Old! Current practice at multiple marine insurers including BoatUS, no survey is required for a boat less than 20 yrs old. Right now 1997 not required. They had an insure value slightly less than market pricing but would insure at owner declared value 20% over their value. Still no survey.

Boats are Well Maintained:
On the internet. Otherwise, maybe not at all. The specific boat we went to look at was described as average condition but was a mess. Absentee owner in a backwater marina, owner sails then leaves it for months however it lands at dock. Ripped foresail, multiple punctures through gelcoat to open mat, both amas flooded, structural crack in fiberglass bow cross stringer.

Trimaran Selection Criteria:
We stand by our section of a trimaran for our situation. We will buy a traileable trimaran. Sail it (fast) from our personal dock in Iowa during summer and then November tow it to Florida for winter (fast) sail and storage. Fly down cheap a couple times a season. Drop her in, sail her (fast). Found locked trimaran yard for trailed boat storage and launch for $50 per month. This is less than we pay for indoor winter storage here in Iowa. Return to pull it back home in April and sail (fast) for a week before going North.

Exact Boat Selection:
We thought the Telstar 28 was the right boat. Turns out we will buy a Corsair F28 with the cruiser interior option. Less cabin than Telstar, far more sailing machine, better build, better selection, good support. We are late career with plenty of vacation. For the next work 5 years before retiring to a larger (slower) boat, we can sail (fast) alot while reducing our charter costs. We will stay aboard the F28 for a week here and there. Folks jump the F28 to the Bahamas. Lots of great shallow harbors and private beach spots.

Thanks to everyone that contributed here.
We agree, you do need to survey your buy. This might be paid for or personal depending on your knowledge, dollars spent and intended use. Good boats show themselves and poor ones hide close by. Michael

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,620 Posts
Off topic, but why doesn't Sailingdog post here anymore?

When I'm looking up stuff in old threads it looks like he used to post all the time. Like, ALL the time.

Did he get into one of those stupid arguments with someone?
It was some time ago, but as I recall Sailing Dog told me that he got frustrated with the general lack of civility and felt that moderation here was enabling trolls. (I am paraphrasing my recall of his email) I also understood that he grew tired of answering the same repetitive questions time after time. I believe that some members came to think of him as being "snippy."

In April of 2014, after he had been gone for about a year, Sailing Dog had a fire onboard which destroyed his boat. Maine Sail started a thread about it (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener.../132785-sailing-dogs-boat-destroyed-fire.html) and a number of members here (starting at about post #28) essentially said "yippee." Any possibility of his returning to SailNet probably ended there.

In my time here (10 years!:eek:) I have come to learn that the crazies come out on SailNet as winter drags on, and that come April civility is in far shorter supply than it was in August. I have also found that adding members who have proven to be trolls or AFOCs to my ignore list helps me manage the irritation that these members seem to derive joy from providing.

Reactions: CalebD

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sailing Dog told me that he got frustrated with the general lack of civility and felt that moderation here was enabling trolls. (I am paraphrasing my recall of his email)
Since the only other sailing forum I frequent is Sailing Anarchy, this place seems like a model of civility to me :)

Sailing Dog had a fire onboard which destroyed his boat. Maine Sail started a thread about it (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener.../132785-sailing-dogs-boat-destroyed-fire.html) and a number of members here (starting at about post #28) essentially said "yippee."
Huh. I can see how there could be some snickering when a preventable accident happens to someone who put himself out there as such end-all expert. On the other hand, accidents can happen to anyone. A little understanding might have been in order.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,620 Posts
I agree with you on both points.

I have an account on SA only because another member there posted pictures of MY keel repair without credit to me. I don't often post there BECAUSE, as the name suggests, it is anarchy.

There was a lot of sympathy in the thread about the demise of Pretty Gee, but I was very surprised that there were a bunch of callous replies there as well.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
SailingDog was a trove of info to verify on your own. In fact, he would often point you to the resource, not give you the answer. He could also be as snarky as they came. It's a little narcissistic to consider it frustrating to read the same question repeatedly, on a forum open to the world's population. Did he think his work should be studied in university? He even wrote his own instructions on how a newbie should use the forum. They were informative, indeed, but insisted you look everything up first. He didn't provide them as a civil service, it was more like a nun with a ruler slapping in her palm.

I never wished him gone and believe there was a very specific incident that set him off. However, if it was over the general lack of civility, he might have been party to that Tango on occasion. I will give him credit that I don't think he was doing so, as a style, as some other banned members did. I also think much of the population has long turned over and perhaps he would return. OTOH, he may have gone toe to toe with one of the mods. Tragic what happened to his boat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you end up buying a Corsair? We did something similar to you. We own a Telstar, sailed it up in Minneapolis, then brought it down to Florida where we had it on Tampa Bay. We pulled it and are doing some repairs and touch ups before we look for a new place to sail it. When we were looking at trailerable tris, we looked at the corsair but they were too much of a wet ride and the amas and mast raising seemed to be a pain plus they were quite a bit more to purchase. The Telstar made the most sense for us and we have had pretty good luck with her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts