SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm looking at a 37'ish sailboat for my (and my wife's) retirement. We'll keep it at Kentucky lake and use the Tenn Tom waterway (9' deep and 52' bridge clearance) to get to Florida's West coast anchorages (and beyond?) over the winter. That's the plan anyways. What draft and mast bridge clearance do you Gulf coast cruisers recommend?

Been looking long enough! Time to buy!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
ICW through the Panhandle is 48 feet clearance east of Pensacola. Took us 3 days straight through to go from Destin to Tampa Bay. If you want to follow the coast, you can go in at Pensacola, then back out to Panama City and then across to the west coast of Florida. Not sure of bridge clearance north of Tampa Bay.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Where on Ky Lake will you stay? Hail Sparkie if you see me on the water! We been hanging out on this lake for 20+ years and love it there. You can also check out klsc.net for a loose knit sailing group that is always open to new members for racing, social, or just fellowship and fun. Good luck in your hunt.
DD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Doug, thanks. I'll look you up when I get over there. I haven't decided where I'll put the boat. Either Lighthouse or Green Turtle Bay. Do you have a preference?

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Hey Doug, thanks. I'll look you up when I get over there. I haven't decided where I'll put the boat. Either Lighthouse or Green Turtle Bay. Do you have a preference?
Over the years I have been at Lighthouse, Green Turtle, and at Ky Dam Village. I am now at GTB and am very happy there. I would like to be at Lighthouse because I have a camper there, but for sailing and boating in general, GTB has better services. Availablilty will be an issue at LHL unless you buy a boat from them. They have very little turnover, and they are 100% booked most of the time. Both marinas are well managed and are good folks to work with. Come on and join the fun!!
DD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug,

Thanks. Appreciate the info. Wondering if the boat I buy needs to have a shoal keel. Do you know what the avg. depth is at Kentucky Lake?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts