SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to sailing and am having trouble with the terminology,I have a C&C 27 mark 2 and am looking at new sails for it. the sites say rig height is 35 feet but when I measure my mast it is 33 feet from top to bottom.
Am I measuring wrong?
Thanks

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Lynn, there are measurement guides online with pictures for all the dimensions, and EVERY reputable sail loft will have those same diagrams on their web site. If the guys you are dealing with don't--that's not a good sign.

They also should be willing and able to work with you on the phone and answer any questions, because that's the only way sails get made right. Any niggle of a communications problem often means the sails will be cut wrong. So, caveat emptor.

If your mast is deck stepped, the height should be from the top of the mast, excluding any masthead truck or other fitting, to the very bottom of the mast--not to any foot or fitting it may rest in. Ditto if the mast is keel-stepped, but you may have to measure below the floor boards to find out how long it really is.

Rig height may vary with the production model (I don't know the C&C 27) but there are probably "light air" versions with taller masts, and other versions with shorter masts, and from "Mark 1" to "Mark 2" similar changes again. Over the years, a lot of that information gets confused, so you'd need to check with other owners, check with other lofts, check online to see if any of that might be it.

If nothing else adds up, and you mast is simply "wrong" then it means someone replaced it over the years. That's not uncommon, and it means you need to very carefully measure every dimension of the rig and sail, to get sails that will fit the rig you actually have.

Careful measuring ("measure twice, cut once") and absolutely unmistakeable communications with the loft (everything in writing, drawn and faxed) is worth every extra hour it takes.

If you want cringles, reef points, windows, reinforcements...Even when they are all drawn out and detailed, somehow, these things often just don't happen. Get a firm delivery date, and protection with a credit card.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Lynnt, are you reading the “I”, “J”, “P” and “E” dimensions from the sail maker’s website? If so, you may be encountering a terminology issue. “I” is the distance from the highest sheave for a jib halyard down the mast to the shearline (intersection of the deck and hull). You were probably measuring down to the cabin top. If you are looking to verify that your rig has not been altered, it is easy to check the “P” dimension (mainsail hoist from bottom of main halyard sheave wheel down to the gooseneck. Then measure the “E” dimension which is from the gooseneck out the boom to the band (or to the outhaul sheave). If these two measurements are significantly different from the sail maker, then perhaps you have a tall (or regular) rig and the posted dimensions are for the other. If you are “close” but not spot on, chances are you didn’t quite get the measurement right. Rarely has a rig been “tweaked” off the manufacturer’s speck. Aluminum is pretty durable and I wouldn’t think the mast height has been altered unless you are also seeing some other collaborating evidence. One of the nice things about a local loft is they will measure your boat to confirm the dimensions and they use things like steel tape measures in order to get a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much, That explains things , I was measuring to the cabin top where my mast is stepped . Measuring to the deck brings the measurement to the 35 feet that it says on the sites. the other measurements were in line with the sailmaker sits measurements.
Once again Thanks for the help

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
First of all congratulations on such a fine boat ;)

Also be aware that how most owners describe the marks of their 27 differs from how C&C described them. As far as C&C were concerned, they made a MkI and a MkII (corresponding to Mks I-IV and MkV in owner's terms). That can also cause some confusion. Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs. I'm sure you also know about Greetings From The C&C27 Association

1 - 5 of 5 Posts