SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Floating *******
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

My name is Connor. I'm currently in the market to get back in to sailing! I was introduced to sailing at a very young age and I really enjoyed it but since then I've got caught up in life and without a family or many friends interested in the notion of cruising around the harbor, it fell somewhat by the wayside. However, now I'm ready to get back in to it! I'm currently in the market of trying to find a boat that would be suitable for the greater coastal Charleston area and at the same time suitable for me to live aboard as it would be my home as well. I'm always up to meet new people of like mind in the area and learn anything I can from those willing to share. If anyone has any helpful advice for a starter or on appropriate boat choice (I want to eventually sail short hand or single hand) please don't hesitate to share the opinion. Even better if you're in the Charleston area and want to share in person! Thanks for reading the wall of text by the way :rolleyes:

PS: (If anyone is down in Charleston and has a boat they want to rent as a liveaboard till I have my own could possibly worshiped with baked goods, cash money, and any available medical skills I can render as an emt.)

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Welcome BlackJack.

I don't usually get too deep in boat recommendations, but others do. A budget may help them. Your purchase price should be half of what you have, as refit, repairs, upgrades and "I didn't notice that", all add up fast. While not model specific, in order to shorthand, a solid autopilot and all lines lead to the cockpit would be priorities.

If you are just coastal cruising, don't get hung up in whether the boat is designed to sail around the world.

Whatever you do, don't be that guy/gal who lives aboard a boat that isn't actually prepared to sail. If its a dock queen, just get a houseboat.

Good luck.

·
Floating *******
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Minne,

I have a pretty skimpy budget, probably about 10k max if I work overtime for a while. I'm not looking for anything extravagant or that can sail across the Atlantic without feeling like I left land. I'm a bit of a minimalist so just something quaint and cozy that will float around Charleston with myself and friends occasionally. Probably somewhere between 27 and 36 feet. Just enough to scratch out a living!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.