SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Anyone have any info on Texas Marine International? I'm looking at a 29.9, supposely a '86 model, but I can't seem to find any info on this boat other than TMI came from Chrysler Marine.
Any help or info is appreciated.

· baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Reaction score
I would be cautious about any boat made by TMI. The joke, based on the initials, goes: Avoid them like they are radioactive. TMI was Chrysler's boatbuilding factory until the 1980 reorg, when Iaccoca was forced to shed assets. The employees took over production, but without the parent company's capital clout.

It also happened to be the middle of the oil embargo, so the price of epoxy resin was sky-high. TMI began cutting corners in hull thickness, using chopper gun where not appropriate, etc. It got so bad the designers of the Buccaneer 18 and Mutineer 15 -- Dick Gibbs and Rod McAlpine-Downey -- pulled TMI's license to manufacture those craft, because of gross manufacturing defects. To this day, Bucc18 owners will buy, fix, and race Buccs made by any of four other builders ... but no Bucc sailor wants a TMI boat.

YMMV.:)

· baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Reaction score
I think you mean polyester resin - very few boats were (and are) built with epoxy resin.
Brian
Correct -- I was referring to the entire category of petroleum-derived structural adhesives: polyester, vinylester, and bisphenol-A. All go by the name 'epoxy' in popular use, all get employed in various parts of the boat-building process, and all were very expensive in the late 70s & early 80s.

By now, after all its repairs, our SJ21 is prolly half original polyester resin, half West Systems epoxy.:eek:

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
I too have a TMI 30. Which I like very much. For a 1981 sailboat she is in great shape.
I have previously owned: Spirit 23, Catalina 27, Catalina 30, another Catalina 27, plus a couple of smaller sailboats. I don't claim to know all that much about boats, but I have played with them for the past 25 years. The TMI 30 is very similar to the Catalina 30. Like any boat built 28 years ago I am upgrading the running rigging, but other than that she is sound.

· baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Reaction score
Silverlake: glad you like your boat. As mentioned, YMMV: it's possible TMI was building some boats better than others. But on the whole, their reputation is terrible. Especially among Bucc18 sailors, who are content with mediocre quality. (The Chryslers and Starwinds weren't exactly well made; my '78 Chrysler has all kinds of issues, most of them from the TMI factory while under Chrysler Marine oversight.) But the TMI boat are shunned.

I got the information about TMI's corner-cutting direct from Gibbs and McAlpine-Downey, explaining why they pulled the molds from TMI. They didn't want their name on the boats coming out of that factory. They demanded quality improvement & that TMI build the hulls to specification; TMI ceased royalty payments; it got ugly. TMI went bust, mooting the dispute; and Wellcraft/Starwind/Gloucester began producing Bucc18s.

It was a tough time to make plastic boats. Lots of US boat companies felt pressured to economize on materials and methods, and anyone buying a craft of that vintage should look hard at the layups. TMI began as a troubled, undercapitalized business and sold off its sailboat assets within months; your 1981 TMI-30 might even have been made by Ticon Yachts, which bought the rights in that year. Do you know where it was made?

ETA: I've altered my first boat to be less categorical; I'm only personally familiar with the smaller boats of the Chrysler/TMI legacy & am not qualified to disparage the larger models.

· Registered
1 Posts
Reaction score
I very recently acquired a TMI 27 which was of the Charlles Morgan design. It is a project but not huge. I've been all thru the boat from stem to stern and I'm pretty inpressed. The molds were owned by Chrysler but was never built under the Chrysler name. The boat was only ever built by TMI. It is setup very heavy in comparison to many 27s I've seen. Has a spade keel with a draft of 5 feet, keel step'd mast, the rigging is very heavy, Has a Yanmar diesel, Lewmar winches on the cabin and 2 speed Lewmars on the coamings, lines all led aft and displaces 8000 w/ 3900 in the keel. Can't find anyhing wrong with this specimen.

· Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
I'm a more than a little late to this thread but I have to contribute my first hand knowledge of these fine boats. I have restored my TMI 30' and I can tell anyone who is worried by claims made in this thread that they are very solid and well made.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.