SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:grinHey guys! Thanks for having me! Wanted to let you know about this awesome community discovered on Facebook called Sailboat Owners United. We share pictures, experiences, tips and just have a whole lot of fun. It's really been an amazing resource for me, and the people are awesome! Go check it out! Just search "Sailboat Owners United" on Facebook!

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet, Crazee. No interest in anybody’s facebook stuff, on my part, anyway. We have a great community here without the Facebook baggage.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Another wrinkle. Took boat out yesterday just to check for high pitch whine. Get it at WOT so burped the pss to see if it gone. I raft 6 1/2’ channel is 9’ sides all less. Sides less than 6 so truly draft restricted. Little sailboat with maybe a 5hp is going maybe 2 kts down dead center. Channel quite narrow and long. Wind amidships. Need some speed to steer to stay in channel.
He and his honey never look behind them and have no idea we are overtaking. So have my wife go to bow. “Excuse me could you please move to one side or the other?” Shock when they realize they are stacking up boats behind them but no movement. “BTW you aren’t draft restricted. Maybe it would be best if you left the channel. There’s 4 to 5 ‘ here. They process...... they move. We thank the profusely as we pass.
So underpowered, poorly maneuverable sailboats being overtaken who have nearly every checkbox for stand on can still display no common sense. I know by the rules I’m give way. I didn’t overtake but slowed down until he cleared the channel. But what is in his head? Never looking behind? Running this constricted channel its entire length for no reason?
The sport fish in this channel have been much more polite.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Another wrinkle. Took boat out yesterday just to check for high pitch whine. Get it at WOT so burped the pss to see if it gone. I raft 6 1/2’ channel is 9’ sides all less. Sides less than 6 so truly draft restricted. Little sailboat with maybe a 5hp is going maybe 2 kts down dead center. Channel quite narrow and long. Wind amidships. Need some speed to steer to stay in channel.
He and his honey never look behind them and have no idea we are overtaking. So have my wife go to bow. “Excuse me could you please move to one side or the other?” Shock when they realize they are stacking up boats behind them but no movement. “BTW you aren’t draft restricted. Maybe it would be best if you left the channel. There’s 4 to 5 ‘ here. They process...... they move. We thank the profusely as we pass.
So underpowered, poorly maneuverable sailboats being overtaken who have nearly every checkbox for stand on can still display no common sense. I know by the rules I’m give way. I didn’t overtake but slowed down until he cleared the channel. But what is in his head? Never looking behind? Running this constricted channel its entire length for no reason?
Looks like this was meant for the Right if Way thread, Don, and it sounds like the skipper of that small boat was just totally self-absorbed. An example of having a right but not the need or obligation to exercise it.

Or maybe they were in the process of updating their Facebook status and just distracted? :grin

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Bet they walk around downtown with their face glued to their cell phones too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts