SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When was the last time you checked the set screws on the shaft collar of your PSS. I checked mine yesterday, I had to my bilge pump was running after I shut down the motor. Both screws were not tight and the collar had moved up the shaft with the bellows barely touching it, not a great amount of water and a two second fix. It is now on my list of regular things to look at.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rockter
The PSS System is a dripless, maintenance-free, stuffing box replacement unit.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PSS stands for Packless Sealing System.

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
Simon..

My PSS stainless rotor has two opposing AWAB hose clamps on the shaft in front of it as a "just in case" so even if the set screws were to come loose it would not move..... You should REPLACE the set screws not just re-tighten them. PSS will ship you the proper type of set screw for very little money... Also the set screws should be "stacked" meaning two in each hole with the top one preventing the bottom one from backing off...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Simon,

Isn't there a stainless steel wire going through both set screws to prevent them from backing out? Check to see if the set screws have a little hole in them.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My PSS stainless rotor has two opposing AWAB hose clamps on the shaft in front of it as a "just in case" so even if the set screws were to come loose it would not move..... You should REPLACE the set screws not just re-tighten them. PSS will ship you the proper type of set screw for very little money... Also the set screws should be "stacked" meaning two in each hole with the top one preventing the bottom one from backing off...
Thanks halekai36, I like that idea, and will do it . But what do you mean by opposing hose clamps? Is it a balance thing?

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Simon,

Isn't there a stainless steel wire going through both set screws to prevent them from backing out? Check to see if the set screws have a little hole in them.
Denby, I have no idea, at the time I was more interested in stopping the ingress of salt water. I will look tomorrow.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jody, Thanks for the links.

·
Handsome devil
3,477 Posts
Negative on the hole and wire for the set screws...They are not designed that way or that long..they are recessed in the coller...

Another method I like better then the hose clamps behind the collar is to put a shaft zinc there...there is no way for it to move then...

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Negative on the hole and wire for the set screws...They are not designed that way or that long..they are recessed in the coller...

Another method I like better then the hose clamps behind the collar is to put a shaft zinc there...there is no way for it to move then...
I have a spare shaft zink.

Hey I f I keep Going like this I will Catch SD's post numbers......not.

·
Handsome devil
3,477 Posts
Know what you mean...Iv been on a roll lately too....but that will all come to an end here shortly...Sailing and construction season both start soon...;)

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my case A trip to the Marquesas is on the cards.

·
Swansea, MA
98 Posts
Simon,
When I installed my PSS, I installed a Stainless steel two piece shaft collar. Search in Mcmaster-Carr, or any industial supply catalog. They are more secure than a zinc and are made to take a side load. I acutally used mine to set the compressed lenght of the bellows,
with the PSS ring in the free position, I clamped the split collar behind it, the used wood shims to compress the collar and lock in place. then just unlocked the collar and slide next to the PSS collar and locked in place. Just alittle bit more security.

Pat

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
Thanks halekai36, I like that idea, and will do it . But what do you mean by opposing hose clamps? Is it a balance thing?
Yes the screws are opposite each other on the shaft. Not that the weight of them would throw it off balance but the clamps seat next to each other better this way to form more of "one" clamp..

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Also, having the screws on opposite sides means you can point them to be accessible at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts