SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down at the marina today working on my boat. Someone mentioned a boat sinking in the marina. So I took a walk to find it. There it was, in my slip! Apparently the marina has had this derelict boat sitting in my slip because I haven't made it into the water yet. It was missing ports, hatchboards and even a cockpit seat locker lid. You can see from the one photo that they been using a large Rule bilge pump to occasionally pump it out. The pump was thoroughly clogged with debris, and they had truly torrential rains on Friday. My dinghy had at least 6" of water in it.

There's bit of irony here. The boat that is supposed to be in that slip can't sink like that. My boat is an Etap 26, with a double hull and 100% foam flotation.

Gary H. Lucas

Attachments

·
Huck
505 Posts
Don't you just hate when your boat sinks lol. Its a sick feeling when you see your boat sunk. Happen to me last week when the really bad rains came. i came back to check out the 16' sailboat and found out the bow was restting on the bottom and some how the plug came out. Good thing i have the mooring in less then 4 ft of water at low tide and only 10 ft at high tide so i was able to get it out by my self by dragging it to shore. worste feeling ever

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I was down at the marina today working on my boat. Someone mentioned a boat sinking in the marina. So I took a walk to find it. There it was, in my slip! Apparently the marina has had this derelict boat sitting in my slip because I haven't made it into the water yet. It was missing ports, hatchboards and even a cockpit seat locker lid. You can see from the one photo that they been using a large Rule bilge pump to occasionally pump it out. The pump was thoroughly clogged with debris, and they had truly torrential rains on Friday. My dinghy had at least 6" of water in it.

There's bit of irony here. The boat that is supposed to be in that slip can't sink like that. My boat is an Etap 26, with a double hull and 100% foam flotation.

Gary H. Lucas
Where the heck do you live?? Wow, I thought the Chesapeake was dirty brown...:puke

·
leave my member alone
156 Posts
It's not a "dirty" brown. It is probably that color from the trees local to the area. Where I live (in central NJ) most of the fresh water is that color from the cedar trees. Or considering he said there was just a big storm, the runoff may have brought alot of muddy water in.

·
Registered
250 Posts
"The boat that is suppose to be in that slip, can't sink like that"! They said the same thing about 'TITANIC'. LOL. Sad, but I know where there is another boat in the same condition, and the staff pumps it out also.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's not a sunken boat...that's a sailmarine. :)
Gotta remember that one! That's good.

My best friend used to be an airport cop and he talks about what happens when people act stupid in the no stupid zone. So far as I can see, all of sailing is a no stupid zone.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
It's not a "dirty" brown. It is probably that color from the trees local to the area. Where I live (in central NJ) most of the fresh water is that color from the cedar trees. Or considering he said there was just a big storm, the runoff may have brought alot of muddy water in.
On the Chesapeake when we have storm runoff, it brings sewage. :puke

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That color is more than normal from storm runoff but this is cedar water from the pine barrens and it always has the brown color.

Gary H. Lucas

·
2,437 Posts
That color is more than normal from storm runoff but this is cedar water from the pine barrens and it always has the brown color.

Gary H. Lucas
Gary, what marina are you in? Just curious, I know the Pines pretty well.

Jim

·
Registered
551 Posts
not sure where the pictures are taken from, but down here in VA/NC many parts of the ICW and adjoining rivers and creeks are that color if not darker. I am sure its a mixture of trees, sewerage, pollution and everything else you could imagine.....not pretty!

As far as the boat goes, any idea what make or model? just curious. no stupids jokes either, please:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Until recently, the USCG required all boats measuring 16 to 26-feet have full, upright flotation. This means that if the boat is completely filled with water the gunwales will still be at or above the water line. Not too many years ago, that regulation was changed. If my memory serves me correctly, the law now pertains to all boat, power or sail, measuring less than 20 feet must have full, upright flotation. The law does not pertain to kayaks, canoes, inflatables,skiffs measuring less than 12-feet, and rowboats. If my Morgan 33 O.I. were to spring a major leak that the bilge pump couldn't handle, it would go down like a stone. ;)

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The boat is in Shore Point Marina on Tom's River, formerly called Riverbank. I think it is a Morgan 28 foot, but I could be wrong. It is definitely on the bottom! It'll be interesting to see how long before they are able to raise it.

Gary H. Lucas

·
Registered
42 Posts
We saw something similar in Panama City at the marina. I was actually in the cockpit, stowing stuff, cleaning, etc. and this guy ran down the dock and asked me if I saw the boat right behind me go down. I apparently missed seeing it by about 45 seconds! Crazy. When we went over to take a look, the fish were already making a reef out of it. Lesson of the day: never neglect your thruhulls.

Happy sailing!
Melody

Vacilando | This is the story of two people, a dog and a journey. We'll choose some article almost certain not to exist and diligently try to find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the sinker is no longer sunk.
It was raised last week, and promptly cut into small pieces using a Sawzall. They stuffed it in the dumpster and hauled the keel off to the scrap yard. If anybody is interested, there is a fair mast and boom still there.

Gary H. Lucas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts