SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a (wing) keel!! :)

The 12m class yacht KOOKABURRA is currently out in the yard getting her bum painted and I thought some of you might like to feast your eyes on the 'Plan B Secret Weapon' for the America's Cup campaign that pinched the Auld Mug from you guys late last century:

Sometime either during or after the campaign the trim tab was covered under layers of bog and was only re-discovered a couple of years ago after some of the bog fell off during a haul-out.

EDIT: Beautiful, ain't she?!? Kinda reminds me of a beached whale.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
reminds me of that enormously distorted jet they carry aircraft assemblies in - the Guppy? Something like that.

When function loses even the memory of form.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
this era of sailing was exciting...the americas cup just seemed more real...jajaja

awesome pics

does look like a beached whale! jajaja

the grey aint helpin

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
There is a lot going on in the 12 meter rule that governs what you see in that shape. None of it is arbitrary. The deep "belly" was dictated by the rule. A skin girth was taken amidships and checked against a chain girth at the same spot and the difference in girths could impose a big penalty.

I love that shape. The inverted keel makes a lot of sense considering the short root chord reduces interference drag at the root dramatically and the long tip chord gets ballast down where it works better. I notice that the winglets on this model are different to those on the winning 12.

Thanks for posting that Classic. Hard to know where you are going if you don't know where you have been.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a lot going on in the 12 meter rule that governs what you see in that shape. None of it is arbitrary. The deep "belly" was dictated by the rule. A skin girth was taken amidships and checked against a chain girth at the same spot and the difference in girths could impose a big penalty.

I love that shape. The inverted keel makes a lot of sense considering the short root chord reduces interference drag at the root dramatically and the long tip chord gets ballast down where it works better. I notice that the winglets on this model are different to those on the winning 12.
Yep. This was the "other" version you guys never got to see.. still extremely quick, just not up to Australia II standard. :)

FWIW, she's all-aluminium and, apart from a cantankerous engine added only because there are no towing facilities in the fleet racing she does now, is unchanged from all those years ago. Crewed by a bunch of dedicated syndicate-owners, she's a regular competitor in mixed-fleet racing around here and does quite well (on handicap).

Thanks for posting that Classic. Hard to know where you are going if you don't know where you have been.
Never a truer word spoken.. and how quickly people forget that.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I thought some of you might like to feast your eyes on the 'Plan B Secret Weapon' for the America's Cup campaign that pinched the Auld Mug from you guys late last century:
Well.. you should be proud then, since a bunch of your guys won it back last year... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts