SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Possibly improving
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't buy it. I just don't. I bought my first sailboat 2 years ago right after taking a couple of lessons on a flying scott. It is a 27' O'day. It isn't the ugliest boat in the mooring field but it is no where near the prettiest. I think about that boat every day. When things are hectic at work or a day is particularly frustrating I think to myself that sailboat is waiting in the mooring field a short 12 minute drive away. I didn't have a lot of time yesterday but I freed up a couple of hours to dinghy out to the sailboat, cast off and go up and down on the Intercoastal a couple of times. I really enjoy singlehanding the boat as I believe it forces me to get better and quicker at everything. After a relatively brief sail a got it back on the mooring and went home. I felt great the whole rest of the day and most of today just having spent some time sailing her this weekend. Sailing is a tremendous experience that seems to lift my spirits long after I've finished and I've gotten my money's worth out of that boat many times over already.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fau;
That's great!
I'm happy you feel this way today...it's not like that old adage applies to 2 consecutive days.
I still think of my current boat every day as well...and it still makes me as happy as it makes you. However, I have an old boat sitting on a cradle, too. 2 years ago, it made me happy...and then I got a new boat that makes me happier still!
The old boat is costing me $1000 a year in storage. Her value is depreciating every month, and I'm worried about water, dirt, engine, paint, and myriad other things that might be going wrong.
The day I sell her will be almost as happy as the day I bought her....and that, I think, is the point of the expression.

I'm sure that someday, I'll want to get rid of my current boat, and I may not want to replace her. On that day, I hope someone is sad, because I will be giving up a great lifestyle...but I suspect that if I'm ready to do that, I'll be just as happy to part with her as I was to buy her in the first place...again - the adage rings true.

Food for thought.

Andy

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Fau, this is so in my wheelhouse, there is not a day goes by that i don't think of or look at photos of my boat, unfortunately I'm waiting for winter to release it's hold on where I am at. To be honest, the only time i seem to be totally focused and in the moment is when I am on the boat or doing a boat project, the rest of the time I am distracted by , you guessed it, the boat.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
“ 'Master and Owner of the Racundra.' Does any man need a prouder title or description? In moments of humiliation, those are the words that I shall whisper to myself for comfort. I ask no others on my grave."

Arthur Ransome, "Racundra’s First Cruise"

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Hey,

I still remember watching the new owner sail away in 'My Boat' after closing on the sail. It was NOT a happy time for me. I enjoyed that boat, put a lot of effort into it, learned a lot and had many good memories.

Barry

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's a lot like women. We're thrilled when we get one. But over time, we start to think about "the next one". *smile*
Said the divorced man....:laugher

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got mine and I was (am) still terrified at the prospect of being in "over my head."

It used to be that a man's home was his castle (not that I'm nostalgic for the "Mad Men" days). It's not like that anymore. But on the boat! So long as you're competent (man or woman) and it's yours, you're the ranking officer on deck.

Tough to sell that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sold my boat locally. Was sad to sell it because I sold it a lot less that I wanted to. I was happy to see it out sailing though.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
You're also 100% responsible for everything that goes on, even if you were not the direct cause of the event.

Even so, be not afraid of being in over your head. Having the intelligence to ask the question in the first place, probably means that you are not.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
It was definitely strange to watch my first boat sail off without me.
I didn't hate it, it wasn't a bad boat.

The day that I sealed the deal on my Pearson 30 was bliss.

The whole process was an exciting adventure- the research, the survey, getting second opinions from experienced friends, the testing, the purchase. Then came the repairs in the yard and finally, Launching Day. I video'd that with my phone. Watching that clean, sharp hull being lowered into the water...

I sailed her home on Launching Day, solo. I don't think I've ever been more proud or excited. It was a flawless sail. She seemed BIG after my Coronado 25.

I very, very, very rarely encounter a boat that makes me think "What if I upgraded..." and that moment doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
134 Posts
LOL...Wow...
Apparently I stand corrected...
There are some pretty passionate people who have weighed in on both the first 'happy day' (purchase) and second, not-so-happy day (selling)...

It seems like the one thing we all agree on is the amount of time we spend all day, every day, thinking about our boats - when (according to non-sailors) we should be thinking about other things. Mundane, boring things...

I love you guys.

(it's going to be 11 degrees Celcius on Monday...)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, responsible as well.. no doubt. That's part of the allure too though.. no?
How many times in are lives are our destiny's really "in our own hands?"

My point being that selling the boat is letting go more than a floating car. It's letting go of your chance to sit in the Capt's chair, come what may. Maybe I just watch too much star trek.. lol. We have sensors (radar, AIS), comms (vhf).. I'm holding out for phasers!

That's my list 1) phasers, 2) barrier coat, 3) soft rigging. I wouldn't have to worry about radar, or even standing watch, if I could just vaporize any cargo ships w constant bearing/closing range. That's what Capt. Picard calls an "intercept course!"

Mine is a 73 or 74 too. The title and the hull plate don't agree. Either way, hull # low 500's. Annapolis is one of my intermediate goals for my first season.

Beej

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most of you are talking about much larger boats than I have dealt with, but the selling of my Sunfish was not a happy thing, even though I had "upgraded" to a roomier sailing dinghy. Now facing the fact that I probably should sell that C-Lark, due to the lack of storage space after buying the Ranger 20 - as happy as I am with the Ranger, I can't generate any happy thoughts about doing that.

I know a lot of owners and former owners of powered craft - and yeah...I think the "2 happiest days" applies more to them.

·
Registered
634 Posts
So encouraged by this thread. My wife was beginning to worry insinuating that there was something wrong with me because I think, talk about, or visit the boat almost every day.... I will show her this thread so she can see I am in good company...

Reactions: jimgo

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
So encouraged by this thread. My wife was beginning to worry insinuating that there was something wrong with me because I think, talk about, or visit the boat almost every day.... I will show her this thread so she can see I am in good company...
Hell, I worry about you Rhyb. I worry that your wife is going to crush your enthusiasm.

A good friend once told me "Women love a man who is passionate. However, they absolutely hate the thing he is passionate about."

The point being, that women like a man with fire in his heart, but they hate competition. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts