SailNet Community banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
"Sturgis"?, been there, but not during "Bike week" or whatever it is called. Never had a "real" street bike but am wondering what happens if you bring a Japanese made bike there?

Paul T
Watch the TV show - lots of metric cruisers there.

Somehow I can't see a sailor fitting in no matter what kind of bike they were on. :D

A couple of weeks spent with thousands and thousands of stumbling drunk, hard core bikers - paradise on Earth :rolleyes:

From watching a bit of the show I was reminded of the old line about the IQ of a mob - take the lowest IQ present and divide by the number of people.

At Sturgis it would appear to end up at about the 8th decimal place.

·
Freedom Chip Counter
259 Posts
A couple of weeks spent with thousands and thousands of stumbling drunk, hard core bikers - paradise on Earth :rolleyes:
QUOTE]

Lot's of nice bikes and people, but as Sloop says ...thousands of stumbling drunks....many that should not be on bikes. I always get a chuckle seeing the thousands of "hardcore" bikers trailering their rides into (or just outside of) town.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,949 Posts
Because you bought them NEW! :eek:
I looked for used... I'd have settled for sails half the age of the boat... no go. Now that I've had new, OH boy... maybe that's how the ball starts rolling... you buy 1 thing new, and it snowballs.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Happy bottom feeder here! I turned an immediate (if unrealized) profit on my first boat. Pulled the trigger knowing that I could sink it, sell the trailer and make a few bucks.

Doing some work on it, not more than I want to. Will sail her until I outgrow her then see what else is out there.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
With two kids, future colleges etc and a wife who wouldn't sail but like Needless Mark up stores was a bottom feeder for decades and enjoyed the hell out of it. Hell I even enjoyed stepping back and seeing a clean bottom I sanded and painted myself.
With kids taken care of and long term savings put aside became a middle feeder. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Wonderful to have a boat that performed and could take out across blue water. Wonderful to have my head higher then my butt most often.
Now being an old fart knew just want I wanted in a boat and finally have the time to spit up the anchor. Ah that new boat done just the way you want it. Think it will sure be nice to be a top feeder and enjoy the hell out of it. Still going to paint my bottom in a couple of weeks. Still so much to learn about maintenance and they say "when you stop learning you better have dirt in your face". However,nice to think she not coming out of the water for a couple of years, no major repairs/maintenance and she'll see new top waters every month or two on the never ending cruise never seeing bottom waters.
Never owned a new boat until now. As said to Mikey "try it you'll like it".

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
My problem with new boats is that there's nothing to do onboard but sail them. :D

Reactions: outbound

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
My problem with new boats is that there's nothing to do onboard but sail them. :D
Huh?!? Nobody sails a new boat.. you'll scratch the gelcoat - and besides, new, stiff, sails make too much noise flogging in the breeze and are too slippery for your stiletto-shod guests to handle.

No.. new boats are permanently tied up to marinas and used for lunch and dinner parties and as a hangout to impress your friends. Hence the big-screen TV and cinema surround-sound. :rolleyes: :laugher

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Hey Classic- if you ever come the upside up part of the globe I'd love to take you sailing. Seems a lot of new boats splash and take off cruising. Remember for many the new boat is the only new boat they will ever own. It's bought after several old boats. Its bought with a purpose. Commonly to see what life is like in other time zones. Spoke to multiple owners of the hulls of the prior few years . Nearly all owners have been out of their country of origin. O and its wicked cool to see the screen of your chart plotter up on the flat screen. So far have put a hole in the luff of the main, cracked a batten car, scratched the stainless in a small spot when a block worked loose, have replaced lines due to wear and so on. No injuries were done in the slip. Its a sail boat. This past year cried I couldn't sail it more but hope to soon feel better about that.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts