SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
so he thinks the yachtmaster tickets are the best in todays world?

Im interested in knowing more as I need to get a ticket again

I never relicensed or renewed my 100ton masters really I never felt the need as most I ever got as crew was by word of mouth

ticket or not...

Now I am interested in peoples thoughts on delivery options and what people expect ticket wise for a delivery skipper these days

now that Im back in the states Id love to deliver some boats.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
As a consumer of these services I think its- whatever the insurance company wants to see. So far they have wanted to see
years of service
number of times person has made that specific passage and in what capacity.
ancillary crew.
Although they want to see licensures it seems to be of less interest than the above.

This applies to passagemaking on small yachts not to paid live lumber on boat owned by captain ( or third party) and day sailed or rented out for transits. Then its whatever the country or countries of operation demand.

Still in investigating this to develop my own skill set and to avoid issues in entering/exiting various countries ( especially EU) I personally entertained obtaining Yachtmaster certification.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
well I know for chartering its a whole different shebang

My interests are kind pf pseudo job related.

Ive always dealt in private dealiings. however I know plenty of skippers that deliver based on word of mouth ONLY and have no licensing whatsoever

Im new for example to the insurance game and what they require, same for a brokerage firm.

Im not necessarily interested in those jobs

dont know about the op

Ive hearc great things about the brit yahct master tickets.

I do have my isaf trainging and certificates as coach but that is not applicable per se to skippering and or delivering boats as its apples and oranges

however Im a huge fan of isaf certifications

anywhoo

please more input from those who want to share their experiences

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have just mailed off to renew my 100-ton license for another 5 years (by which time I'll be 70! several 'outside consults" needed to fill out the Medical form).

Maybe the US is behind the times, but unlike the UK and others, we have no real private system of licensing, it's Coast Guard or nothing. So I keep that one current. As a kid I delivered yachts without a license, but that was way before UK Yachtmaster, ASA, USSA, or any of the nongovernmental licenses or certificates we see now.

I haven't done a paid delivery in decades, but I do teach sailing part-time on small auxiliary sailboats and very occasionally fill in as a mate or 2nd captain on 99-ton offshore dive boats, so I need the license then. For delivery, I understand many customers and maybe some insurers want that license for a delivery, while many may not, since delivery is not "carriage of freight or passengers for hire" so no license needed in the US.

Plus I may retire one of these years from my "day job", so the license is good to have in my pocket, though a big pain every 5 years to gather the paperwork to renew if you're not in a school or company who helps you do it.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
in my case I just never needed the license as I just sailed along for pay or not...now if I wanted to charter or day sail my boat with paying passengers thats a whole nother story(country dependant)

Ill see what it takes to relicense back here in the US however I have a feeling it will have to be from ground zero to get a new one as its been so long...

anywhoo

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,299 Posts
in my case I just never needed the license as I just sailed along for pay or not...now if I wanted to charter or day sail my boat with paying passengers thats a whole nother story(country dependant)

Ill see what it takes to relicense back here in the US however I have a feeling it will have to be from ground zero to get a new one as its been so long...

anywhoo
If your license has been expired for more than six months, the renewal process becomes pretty much the same as the new license process, namely you have to again pass the tests...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

anywhoo

I believe you can get a 6-passenger license to skipper an uninspected vessel ("6-pack") with one year's time (360 8-hour days or equivalent) most of which you may be able to document yourself under oath, there's a form for that. And only a certain percentage of that "sea time" (I think it's 25%) has to be recent. So starting over may not be that bad even if you have to.

Check with the CG National Maritime Center at NMC Charter Boat Captain Page

·
Master Mariner
9,197 Posts
Any USCG ticket below 1600 tons isn't worth the paper the little red book is printed on, unless you wish to work within the limits of the continental US. Nobody in the world respects the USCG tickets and even my Panamanian ticket gets more respect.
Every professional, including the cook, must have a STCW Certificate if they wish to work internationally on a boat of any flag, period.
At this time the Yachtmaster certificate is the popular license, but if you are an American your chances of working on any vessel are greatly hindered by the litigiousness of Americans in general. I have seen many, many American owned yachts and commercial vessels without one single American crew member on board, and it is getting worse every year.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I know this capta most do...nothing new about your comment(no disrispect)

however if someone requires it and I could renew mine and if it would be helpful in getting a job here and there why not?

just like you I had the same sentiments any paper or license isnt worth anyting really unless you back it up

while some certifications are indeed better than others and more beefy so to speak that doesnt mean I cant simply chose to renew my old license or go for an rya license

whatever

geeze people lighten up

stcw is required last I heard for any 100 ton an up license anyway it was optional when I did my test.

like you I thought the whole uscg licensing was a joke I walked in I was 21 the youngest in my class not one physical exam not one on boat skill test not one real sailing test I did have my sea time and wasnt lying however and had more experience than many others testing, for example the majority were sport fishermen

the towing and sail endorsement was a 5 page booklet you did AFTER passing the real test

again that doesnt mean its completely useless as others have already stated.

Im back in the states

why not

if anybody has more info on the yachtmaster tickets please post your experiences

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How many STCW-signatories countries' licenses require a hands-on test? I rather doubt Panama does, nor any of the FOC countries. Do the UK and Greece ( picking two maritime countries at random)? Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

Meanwhile I believe I shall refrain from discarding my "worthless" license. ;-)

PS. For C Hess--- 200 ton and above US require STCW certifs, 100 doesn't.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
cool thats what I thought...I meant over 100 ton...guess its still the same

I appreciate the input nolatom

whats needed to get the stcw these days?

last time I checked into the yachtmaster programs in britain at least they did much more hands on training...specifically boat maneuvering

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I was involved in original USCG licensing at Kings Point (US Merchant Marine Academy) on the engineering side. There are an extensive series of hands-on activities (some at sea during the Sea Year and some in lab exercises) that each student had to complete and get signed off on. That STCW program had to be approved by the USCG. Similar requirements on the deck side.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
ENGINEERING WHOLE DIFFERENT SHEBANG for sure

I have a friend who is an engineer that studied on that famous boat in benicia, ca....cant remember

thats very intensive however I think we can all agree that a 6pack or anything less than 200ton licenses are easy and fast to obtain...

anyways

any more info on the yachmaster school of thought?

·
Registered
403 Posts
There is no best.
What you need is a licence valid for the the size of vessel and flag state.
YM not valid on US registered vessel USCG 100 or 6 pack is.
As USCG certificate is not valid on a British vessel a YM is.

tin pot little islands nobody ever heard of may accept other countries certificates including YM's.
STCW 95 is a standard not a certificate, It does not mean the certificate is accepted every where on any vessel. It means the holder meets a recognised standard.

Some counties will accept other national certificates and issue their own of the same standard.

Theoreticaly all STCW 95 should be to the same standard.

·
Captain Obvious
2,416 Posts
Been looking online at the 6 pack, just out of curiosity and it seems like you take a course at an approved school and they give you the test. After you pass they send a certification to the CG and that plus sea time gets you a license.

Is that right?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Been looking online at the 6 pack, just out of curiosity and it seems like you take a course at an approved school and they give you the test. After you pass they send a certification to the CG and that plus sea time gets you a license.

Is that right?

Yes, sounds right. You also need to complete a physical and an eye exam using their forms. (719K). The drug test is usually performed as part of the course, they'll submit to a lab for you.

Also I believe you'll still need to obtain a TWIC card. Even though it's not required for that license, I believe the Coast Guard uses it as their primary source for a background check.

I need to renew my Masters this spring, and will be starting the paperwork soon.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You don't have to take a commercial course to take the USCG test. You can study on your own, get all of the paperwork together by yourself (physical, drug, etc.), and take a test given by the CG. Or, you can take an online or in person course to help you through. I was recently looking into it, and there are many choices from bare bones on line courses to in-person program that help you with every piece of paperwork and administer the tests. It can get pretty expensive.

Instead of going through the process, I bought a study guide. If nothing else, I'm going to be a more knowledgable skipper in the spring...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Christian, were you maybe thinking of the Cal Maritime Golden Bear?
yes my good and sailing buddy back in high school and el toro champion andy goodman studied and mastered there...

I would sail my folkboat over to benicia on weekends from berkeley and hang out...

engineering careers like I said are something else compared to mom and pop 6 packs

no offense to anyone I hope

1 - 20 of 25 Posts