SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back

i went to the boat again, and knocked on it. i wound up waking the guy up. he came top side, and i asked him where he got the bimini. he said at a swap meet at the end of february for 100 bucks. the funny part is it was stolen on the 27 of feb, so if he is telling the truth it got ripped one day and sold the same day... kind of funny. i then said it was stolen off my boat, and i had pics and a police report. he asked to see a pic, so i showed him one and pointed out the obvious stuff matching. he then said okay and stood there, i said do you want to return it. he kind of had a blank look on his face, and then went well if its mine and i want it... duh

i even helped unbolt it.

i was not rude in any way, i even went as far to say sorry that he now had holes in his boat.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nice man Good work. If it were me just out of curiosity I would have to ask when and where this swap meet was and who he bought it from...but then again others would just be happy to have gotten it back so congrats!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Congratulations... :) and good for you...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice man Good work. If it were me just out of curiosity I would have to ask when and where this swap meet was and who he bought it from...but then again others would just be happy to have gotten it back so congrats!
i did ask, he said some guy with a lot of hunter stuff. as for the when that was around the end of feb, thats all he said. and he said the swap meet was in timonium, maryland, dont know where in timonuim but the state fairgrounds are there.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i did ask, he said some guy with a lot of hunter stuff. as for the when that was around the end of feb, thats all he said. and he said the swap meet was in timonium, maryland, dont know where in timonuim but the state fairgrounds are there.
Oh well at this point who cares and just happy you got it back. Congrats again

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'd ask around at some of the chandleries near Timonium, since some of them would probably know when the boat show or swap meet was. I did a google search, and the only boat show that was at the state fairgrounds in Timonium was in January...not the end of February.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Might be fun to take a drive up there for the next meet, and poke around. Then again it might be best left alone. The good thing is you have your canvas back, and had a great approach getting it.......i2f

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Good deal, I'll buy you a beer. More should do what you just did.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
It could have been a straight swap meet and not a boat show. You find all sorts of strange things at one of those swap meets.

Oh Yes!! Now stencil your boat's Name in Fancy letters on it now... Just in case it grows feet again and wanders off.

·
Señor Member
578 Posts
You and the other guy should visit the swap meet together. Bring along your friend with the shield! :hothead

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Of course, you're assuming that the other guy did, in fact, buy the bimini and not steal it himself. There is no proof of that other than his say so...

I'd also point out that the chances of buying a bimini that was stolen from a boat so close to where his boat is kept is making me think that his story is a cover... but I tend to be a bit cynical when odd coincidences like that show up...

You and the other guy should visit the swap meet together. Bring along your friend with the shield! :hothead

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd also point out that the chances of buying a bimini that was stolen from a boat so close to where his boat is kept is making me think that his story is a cover... but I tend to be a bit cynical when odd coincidences like that show up...
like the coincidences of 2 of his friends work right next to my boat, the same beer ( which he had more of on his boat today ), the first time i saw it it was open when the 2 friends where there, then an hour later it was closed up and the friends saw me and one talked to me. lets see also he "bought" it with in 24 hours of it being stolen 20 miles from where it was stolen.

i do like the part where he asked me if anything else was taken because the guy had "alot" of hunter stuff.

he did say it was a boat swap meet

all i can say is karma is a woman, it will come back to bite him at some point

·
Registered
404 Posts
Also the fact that he just gave it back to you without asking for any money or anything, plus all the other "coincidences" really makes it seem like this was the thief. Think about it - if you really did buy it for $100 and had it on your boat for 3 months would you just hand it back? I know I would say hey look I didn't steal this thing but I still did pay $100 it and thats not my fault. I didn't know it was stolen so I'd gladly give it back but not for free.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations! You must feel fantastic and it took courage to confront the guy.
This may have been the best "whodunit" mystery of the year. You come out looking like a regular Sherlock Holmes, which implies that we contributors played different versions of your side kick, Dr. Watson.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I would definitely tell your friend, the cop, to have his guys keep an eye on this guy... if he's ripping off boats, as the season gets going, he's probably going to go after more expensive electronics and such...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the cop friend was with me, and he never said a word. but i think the guy might have figured it out. as i was handing out the stainless frame his shirt lifted and got caught on his badge, it stayed that way for about 5 mins, i know he had to see it.

which i am happy with, due to the guy might not be willing to risk screwing with my boat

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Two points. One, there is another swap meet next weekend (Memorial Day weekend I think, it was mentioned in Spinsheet). Two, there is no way I would ask the guy to go to the next swap meet, count your blessings and be done and be happy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts