SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My new boat has a propane catalytic heater. When I turn on the heater it makes a buzzing sound but doesn't light. I don't see a pilot light so I assume it is electric start. The gas is on (the stove works).

Is anyone familiar with this heater? Is there a step I am missing? Does anyone have a manual? I haven't found one.

Thanks.

Andrew

·
2,449 Posts
Andrew,
Try tracing the propane hose back. There may be another solenoid or safety valve installed somewhere for safety.

Jim

·
19,488 Posts
Surprised to read that these are actually vented heaters.. if so that's good news.

Do you have a manual? There's likely a 'proper' light-off sequence or procedure. Nothing online that I can see, but it looks like you could ask:

Services

·
Registered
626 Posts
Depending on the length of the hose, if it has not been used for a long time, it could take some time to purge the air out of the line. I would check that black hose to make sure it is rated for gas.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
There is this bulletin on the website Ron found regarding service required for the pressure differential valve. Pretty much seems to consist of removing red hose and blowing thru it.
http://ventedcatheater.com/9.html
Apparently these have a powered exhaust, interesting.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
The Cat propane heaters I have seen do not have vented exhausts. Surveyors do not like them and ask for their removal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I have emailed the manufacturer to see if I can get the manual. Capttb, I'll check if that service bulletin applies. Seems like a similar symptom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After some great advice from the manufacturer, I figured out that the blower fan was rubbing on the housing and that was causing it to not fire because of a safety feature. My wife is happy to have heat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts