SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All over the world there are these fancy oceanographic buoys. I know, because I've seen them in the oddest places, really I have.
But no where, nada and niente can I find a way to access the information I assume all these buoys are transmitting to someone. I've searched and searched and even searched a bit more, but my search skills are admittedly pretty poor.
Has anyone any idea of how one might access this information? I'm specifically looking for information on the channel between Grenada and Trinidad. Or any site with sea surface currents for this area.
I had a pretty good one but it seems to be stuck on 2017-06-21 20:00 Local, which doesn't help at all.
Thanks in advance.

·
bell ringer
4,818 Posts
Do a search for NOAA bouts and you find the site with a world map of the buoys that you can zoom in on and click on to get the bouy data. Take note the number for faster next time. There is also a dail a bouy you can call once you know the number

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a search for NOAA bouts and you find the site with a world map of the buoys that you can zoom in on and click on to get the bouy data. Take note the number for faster next time. There is also a dail a bouy you can call once you know the number
Everything except current, but thank you. It's a good real time wind source, if there's a buoy around.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Many of these buoys are uploading / downlinking to/from satellites ...
here's a listing of the various frequencies (all over the radio spectrum, but usually in the microwave area): Meteorological Satellite Frequencies
You really don't need to transcribe the buoy data, just the downlink data from the satellites.

The buoys and satellites typically have an antenna that looks similar to the helical DNA molecule.
Such 'quadrafiliar helix' antennas typically will (was <2000) be broadcasting or receiving in µmHz or higher.
Websearch NOAA and other International Meteo sources for the routines needed to translate the raw data into 'computer literate' onto your laptop, etc.

FWIW - About 20+ years ago, I was looking into such for direct downlinking of the raw NOAA, etc. Wx data for when far offshore. At that time I 'coarse bread-boarded' (at home) a Qf-helix for ~146mHz (now obsolete for sat. work) of about 900-1000 mm (~3ft.) in length; but, already had enough 'crap on de back' of my boat and decided to forego the project. The shift to microwave and 'higher' frequencies should now allow quite smaller antennas - probably in the size of handheld GPS antennas.
There's lot of info on the internet for cobbling these antennas together ... once you have the Tx/Rx ƒrequencies of what you're looking for.

Of course, you can have someone else do all the translating and analysis, and use your SSB or internet link to get their finished broadcasted product.

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a channel that has so much traffic, I'm amazed that there's no current info available.
I've even tried to get a phone number for the Hibiscus Rig, which is right on our course, to no avail.
It's going to be an interesting passage.

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use an android app called Tides Near Me. Does high/low tide and currents (max ebb, max flood, and slack). I like it.
Would you please check if it will give you current at N11°07.90' W061°40.50' or there abouts. Tide info unnecessary.Thanks

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
Thank you, another good resource.
Agreed and saved. They don't factor the wind driven part, in our area it can be HUGE, let the wind be NE for a few days and switch SW to West and try getting over the HRBT on a falling tide. It can run 4 kts or more. I had a friend spend the night at anchor off Ocean View beach and he swears he was doing hull speed at anchor.

·
Super Moderator
4,258 Posts
Do you know who owns the buoy? A lot of ODAS Buoys are run by Federal departments. It looks like a bunch of the ODAS buoys in the Southern Caribbean are run by Meteo France. I've been trying to figure out their website, but I can't figure out if your buoy is one of theirs.

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. If anyone happens to find any good current sites please come back and clue us in.
We've made the crossing to Trinidad, so we're cool for now, but of course, we will have to go north again one day soon, I hope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts