SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of course, every death from this pandemic is a tragedy, but the hourly reports which are coming in about measures being taken to minimize the spread of the virus are also extremely disturbing. I don't want to be an alarmist, but things seem to be headed in this direction.

With the cessation of air traffic from the Schengen border free travel area to the US, I can't even hazard a guess as to how many people will be out of work for that 30 day period, on both sides of the Atlantic. I've read that most Americans do not have enough savings to survive 5 weeks or more, I have no idea about the EU, but certainly the 3rd world will be in serious trouble.
Carnival, Princess and Viking cruise lines, the first of many I assume, are suspending operations completely for at least 60 days and that not only affects those who would be passengers, but those who supply transportation to and from the vessels (air and ground), crew members and food suppliers, right back to the farms.
Each lost docking in a country is a six figure loss for the government and of course a serious problem for those servicing the passengers in that port.

We have already seen a drastic drop in charter boats here in Carriacou. The bay is nearly as empty as it is in summer and day by day boats are departing for I don't know where.
What's going to happen in the US and the EU when folks can't pay their rent, mortgages, or feed their families? Or when the supermarket shelves are empty because there are no drivers to get the supplies there or personnel to stock the shelves? It's a downright scary thought.
There is much concern that in the US, because of the high cost of health care, the virus will go unreported and untreated for some time, creating a massive information vacuum until it is too late and the health care system becomes overwhelmed and is completely unable to cope, skyrocketing the death toll.We cannot look at this pandemic as only a medical problem, but as a threat to society as a whole.
Once again, I feel fortunate we are on a very small island, with fish, fruit and vegetables readily available, and not a lot of folks whose income derives only from tourism.What do you see happening around you (layoffs, store closings, etc.) and how do you think this will affect you personally?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I can't see any changes.... yet. I am self unemployed and work from home in a suburb just north of NYC. Wife works for a huge hospital in a non medical capacity until she retires next Spring. I usually shop at one of several supermarkets for groceries and make most other purchases from Amazon. And I go to the boat now at in water winter storage and soon to be on a mooring. We don't go out much at all... dining, concerts, sports... so I probably wouldn't be the person to comment on changes out there. When I see changes... I will post to this thread.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I'm heading down to Key West in a few weeks. Taking the train from New York to Miami. Picking up a rental car and staying overnight in Miami before driving down to Key West the next morning. This is an annual trip for me to visit a Time Share I've owned there for years. I've got two weeks there but, I first see if the manager has rented my unit out. If there is a full rental that's fine but, any days not rented I'll use it. This year they have rented all but, three days out. So I have booked alternative lodging for those days the unit is rented. It will be interesting to see if there are any cancellations in light of the Corona Virus scare. But, for me there is no downside it just means I'll stay in my unit if there are cancellations. I'll be helping the economy in either case virus or no virus.

In May my gal has booked a Catamaran charter in the Exumas which is a go unless flights to Georgetown and Nassau are affected. Something that we will be keeping an eye on.

·
Registered
21,681 Posts
Store shelves are literally emptying. I think people are stocking up, in the event stores have to close. I'm not making odds, but it sure seem like that could happen temporarily. I think geographic travel restrictions could limit the movement of goods to restock at some point. Although, if it does happen, I don't think it would be for long.

I use a local grocery delivery app. 50% of my shopping list was not available, although, most was closely substituted. By comparison, one or two items may have typically needed to be substituted.

I don't think the death rate or reporting are going to be materially impacted by the cost of health care. People are scared. They'll walk into the emergency room, just like they do now, with or without health insurance. The issue is whether hospitals and emergency rooms are overwhelmed, with or without health insurance.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Store shelves are literally emptying. I think people are stocking up, in the event stores have to close. I'm not making odds, but it sure seem like that could happen temporarily. I think geographic travel restrictions could limit the movement of goods to restock at some point. Although, if it does happen, I don't think it would be for long.

I use a local grocery delivery app. 50% of my shopping list was not available, although, most was closely substituted. By comparison, one or two items may have typically needed to be substituted.

I don't think the death rate or reporting are going to be materially impacted by the cost of health care. People are scared. They'll walk into the emergency room, just like they do now, with or without health insurance. The issue is whether hospitals and emergency rooms are overwhelmed, with or without health insurance.
I've been using grocery delivery for over two years now and love it. Even had deliveries to the boatyard in the past. I had a delivery today and received all items ordered. Also received a message the other day that some items would be limited in order quantity to avoid hoarding and making sure items are available. Sounds like a reasonable plan in these times.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Store shelves are literally emptying. I think people are stocking up, in the event stores have to close.
We isolated ourselves a week ago, and before that stocked up on groceries and other daily things. Our concern wasn't that the stores would have to close, but that we would either be too sick to go shopping, or we would be healthy during an outbreak and not want to go out in public.

Mark

·
11,883 Posts
They have closed schools in State of Maryland till at least March 27.

My wife’s hospital has hazmat tents outside. They are receiving many e mails protocoling new visitation procedures. Her unit the newborn nursery is restricting the visitation of those under 18 years old.
They are also making protocols if the health care workers get sick.

Our house is fairly isolated on a cul de sac. We have plenty of food, medicines, and sanitation supplies.
We have stopped going to the gym and I may possibly stop going to PT as I am in the last few weeks of that and returning to work in mid April.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I was at my local supermarket yesterday, for milk, the quick checkout had no line, the full service lines had the normal 3 or 4 customers in line.

Shelves where maybe 10 or 20% less full but were being restocked when I was there.

No shortage of paper products, bread, milk or anything else I could notice.

Folk loading their cars from shopping carts did not appear to be panic buying any particular product.

This all may change in a few days or weeks, and probably next Wednesday which are senior citizen discount days.

So at least in my section of Philadelphia there is not even the usual panic buying before a heavy snow storm.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I was at my local supermarket yesterday,

What time? And would you mind going back today and see if its the same?

I did a silly FB post to hassle out my Aussie friends showing the aisles of toilet paper. But 4 days later look at the difference.
This is in a very affluent area of London... so...

Dunno what the 'trigger' is but its no slow burn... its a bang.

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What time? And would you mind going back today and see if its the same?

I did a silly FB post to hassle out my Aussie friends showing the aisles of toilet paper. But 4 days later look at the difference.
This is in a very affluent area of London... so...

Dunno what the 'trigger' is but its no slow burn... its a bang.
Yep, we did ours yesterday and today. Even filling all gas containers for the OB as inflatables are such awful rowboats.
Here in Carriacou there are few local food sources and we are at the end of a very long supply chain and if just one little link of that chain breaks....
population density per sq mile;
London, 7,200
Antigua, 481
St. T., 804
GDA, 825
Car, 176
Nobody is going to be in any hurry to fix that broken link for us!

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Since I scrubbed my train trip to DC next week I thought I might as well get another grocery delivery to the house. I've got plenty of food to shelter in place it was more for fresh milk and such. Usually I could get it delivered the next day but, suddenly the earliest I could get a delivery next is next Friday. Not an issue for me in fact might be good news as many more people signed on to the grocery delivery service to avoid crowds in the suppermarket.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,162 Posts
I went shopping for some essentials last evening. My wife had Toilet Paper on the list because we were getting low. This is what the Wallmart TP aisle in Ft Myers looked like;

It seems that the paper companies (Scott, Georgia Pacific, etc.) are seeing a bump in revenue.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I went shopping for some essentials last evening. My wife had Toilet Paper on the list because we were getting low. This is what the Wallmart TP aisle in Ft Myers looked like;
She didnt buy that box of Zip Lock bags???????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are gold here now !

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Just announced:

France has become the latest country to go into lockdown in the war against coronavirus.

Restaurants, some shops, cinemas and cafés will shut for the foreseeable future in Édouard Philippe's nation.

The Prime Minister, 49, has also ordered people to work from home and only go out to buy supplies, take light exercise and vote in the election, which unlike in the UK, remains scheduled.

Public transport will remain open but Mr Philippe encouraged his citizens to limit their use.

He labelled coronavirus France's "biggest health crisis in a century".

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Try Nido powdered milk. I have found it at Walmart.

There are other brands similar.

MUCH better than that no fat junk we are used to. We use it exclusively on the boat for feral and cooking. Stores forever in a tin can. No refrigeration needed.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
In DC my gal went with a friend to a supermarket last night to get some eggs. Got the eggs then she took a peak down the paper isle for laughs. Nothing there except a few small tissue boxes. Ran into a woman from her apartment building on the way back. She jokingly advised her that if she was going to the store for toilet paper there was none. Not a problem the woman said I've got 30 rolls under the bed. Crazy time!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I was at my local supermarket in Philadelphia this morning to get bagels (always better when still warm).

Some isles including paper products were down about 50%, but were being restocked.

No waiting at both the regular checkout and the self service checkout.

Folks unload shopping carts at their cars appeared to not have excess loads.

This is a supermarket that serves a population ranging from very low income to middle income.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was at my local supermarket in Philadelphia this morning to get bagels (always better when still warm).

Some isles including paper products were down about 50%, but were being restocked.

No waiting at both the regular checkout and the self service checkout.

Folks unload shopping carts at their cars appeared to not have excess loads.

This is a supermarket that serves a population ranging from very low income to middle income.
A young lady called at 8AM. She reported that the hot water heater was leaking all over.

I told her to find the water supply and close the valve.

She called the building super because the valve wasn't apparent to her. I suggested that she keeps looking until she finds it.

She's on an upper floor in a mid-rise. The parking garage below has been flooded.

I don't know what the lesson is. You tell me.

·
11,883 Posts
Maybe what’s simple and apparent to you is not to someone else who has not the same experience or knowledge.
Instead of ridiculing maybe an instructive approach would work. ( since the valve is so obvious)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts