SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Read yesterday, in our community of 100,000 residents, that the current level of shut down (restaurants, schools, colleges) and all the self isolation avoiding all stores is costing $4 million per day in economic activity. That's one community. Per day.

I'm not saying it isn't our best option, I don't know. I am saying this can not be the go to solution going forward. First prevent, then detect, then repair. Serious focus on each.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Philadelphia:

At my dentist this morning. They will be completing scheduled appointments for this week, then only emergency dental work for the at least the next two weeks. All staff will continued to be paid for at least the next two weeks.

At reception they are cleaning doors, counters and seats as each patient passes through.

They are following ADA recommendations.

The dental practice will take a financial hit, which may result in a delay in upgrading equipment and hiring additional staff or replacing staff.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Dentist called early this morning to cancel and appointment per the WA state newly issued guidelines as of 8 pm Tuesday night. Only emergencies to be handled for the time being.

·
11,803 Posts
In the Baltimore / DC corridor many supermarkets, stores like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS etc have special hours daily for people over 65. Governor Hogan has turned the Dept of Motor Vehicles into Corona tasting

·
Registered
246 Posts
In the Baltimore / DC corridor many supermarkets, stores like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS etc have special hours daily for people over 65. Governor Hogan has turned the Dept of Motor Vehicles into Corona tasting
Nice Governor......do you get a lime with that?

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
In the SW Michigan area restaurants, movie theaters, and such are closed. Surprisingly we have a couple of big malls, which are remaining open. Most restaurants are still open, but are doing curbside pickup, which we are actively promoting to keep some employees paid, and the business as least still operating, especially small mom and pop owned establishments. Most if not all medical facilities are only open for essential emergency situations. Dentists and the like are in the same situation.

Grocers have been running shortages on bread, pasta, spaghetti sauce, milk, flour, meats, and of course cleaning products and most of all, the stupid toilet paper scare of 2020. Some stores are doing an over 65 hours of shopping in the mornings, and I expect that to expand to more retail, as other people continue to hoard everything...

I volunteer for a food bank, and donations are down, way down, and the demand with school closings has drastically increased demand. Our local schools are supplying breakfast and lunch to the students, but it has to be picked up, and food is coming in by donation only, so that is in short supply as well.

Everyone has a certain memory from their childhood that the next generation will not experience. For me it was in school nuclear bomb tests, ducking under your desk, as if that would make a difference. For my 12 year daughter it will be this pandemic. I am now homeschooling, and actually making it a pretty good time. We stay away from the crowds and people, but do spend time out of the house schooling on things that aren't covered in school as much. The rest of the time is spent using online materials. My daughter has decided to learn Spanish, so the duolingo app is getting a heavy workout.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
..... For me it was in school nuclear bomb tests, ducking under your desk, as if that would make a difference.......
That's a blast of the past. Pun intended. :)

I also recall the nuclear fallout shelter signs on all underground rooms in our schools. There was one on the door to the locker room, which in early grade school (1, 2nd grade maybe) I thought meant there was nuclear material in the room. I didn't know why they were making us go in there. Says something that we did it anyway.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So now only "life-sustaining" businesses can remain open in Pennsylvania.

The marina yard is closed, so no work on the boat for the next few weeks or months. The yard cannot splash so no rush for work anyway. No income for the marina and workers.

1950's and 1960's we would go out to the sea cliffs on the Irish coast and watch the Soviet trawlers track the American submarines in the North Channel. The submarines could not dive deep as this is an area where many tonnes of munitions where dumped after WW2. The strong tidal current forced the submarines to either hug the Scottish or Irish coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort's_Dyke

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Got my grocery delivery today. Tried to set up another one and they are booked for deliveries until April 2nd. No schedules beyond that. In the meantime I've got plenty of provisions to cook with. Though in a few weeks it might be Pizza and Chinese food delivered if I can't get another grocery delivery before then. :( In the meantime I'm pressure cooking a slab of Corned Beef. Will be eating Corned Beef sandwiches on Rye Bread for a few days. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
My girlfriend is a nurse at a local hospital. It appears that the symptoms are evolving. They are now seeing critical cases coming in that present with GI disorders and are testing positive for the corona virus. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Lockdown here in New York. But, Liquor Stores can remain open as they are now considered an "essential service". What a joke!

Meanwhile in Philadephia things get dumb and dumber:
The Philadelphia School District canceled all remote learning for students while they are off from school because not all kids have access to a computer and high-speed internet.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Since this is the sewer, I'll throw out a conspiracy theory. Especially since I'm locked inside with nothing else to do. :)

State's like NY and CA had some of the worst state economies in the nation (despite extraordinary wealth and the highest tax rates in the nation), yet have put a brute force bullet in their economies to address the pandemic. Perhaps brute force is required, but I still don't understand why we didn't first shelter in place and isolate all the most vulnerable, so the hospitals could deal with the remainder. The vast majority could have kept the streets open and would only have gotten sick, not hospitalized, not fatal. I really don't know, but I have to believe we'll come up with a better response than the one we just had, in many ways.

Back to the conspiracy theory, these pandemic economic shut downs are going to dwarf the terrible bleeding economies these governors already had and want to bet they expect the federal government to bail them out? Including the fundamental problems they started with?

Is your shoulder stiff and hurt a little? Best way to deal with it is to smash your finger with a hammer and you'll stop noticing your shoulder. :)

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Since this is the sewer, I'll throw out a conspiracy theory. Especially since I'm locked inside with nothing else to do. :)

State's like NY and CA had some of the worst state economies in the nation (despite extraordinary wealth and the highest tax rates in the nation), yet have put a brute force bullet in their economies to address the pandemic. Perhaps brute force is required, but I still don't understand why we didn't first shelter in place and isolate all the most vulnerable, so the hospitals could deal with the remainder. The vast majority could have kept the streets open and would only have gotten sick, not hospitalized, not fatal. I really don't know, but I have to believe we'll come up with a better response than the one we just had, in many ways.

Back to the conspiracy theory, these pandemic economic shut downs are going to dwarf the terrible bleeding economies these governors already had and want to bet they expect the federal government to bail them out? Including the fundamental problems they started with?

Is your shoulder stiff and hurt a little? Best way to deal with it is to smash your finger with a hammer and you'll stop noticing your shoulder. :)
Nice theory, but it doesn't hold up to the facts. California's 2019 economic growth rate was double that of the nation in whole and it ranks 4th among all states. It is also carrying an almost 30 billion dollar surplus, with a 7 billion dollar budget surplus added last year alone.

New York isn't as good, but it has its highest ever employment rate last year, and its revenues exceed its expenses by almost a billion dollars. I assume you meant the entire state and not the city. The state is dominated by the city, which has been in an economic boom, but the rest of the state is pretty rural and agricultural. The trade wars have really hurt those parts of the state.

Will you have the same conspiratorial bent toward Texas and Kansas when they inevitably need to lock down? Pennsylvania is at the lower end of the US state economies and they are currently locked down. Is it for nefarious reasons?

Mark

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
It was a half hearted theory. Prior to this crisis NY's budget deficit was in the billions. My recollection of CA is only a few years old. Glad to hear they pulled out of the fire. Suspect their going back in.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
California hasn't run a deficit for over a decade now. Swarzenegger handed over to Brown a 27 billion dollar surplus in 2010, so the last deficit in CA was well before then. New York's budget deficit is a result of a single budget item - medicaid. Specifically the high cost of healthcare in the US coupled with NY having the largest population on medicaid.

I suspect many, if not all states, will be going into deficits. The federal government is at record levels already and dipping into another 3 trillion.

Mark

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
It was a half hearted theory. Prior to this crisis NY's budget deficit was in the billions. My recollection of CA is only a few years old. Glad to hear they pulled out of the fire. Suspect their going back in.
People have been bailing out of New York for years. Mostly because of the high taxes. It will be interesting to see how many of those living in the city get spooked by living in COVID-19 locked down conditions while in proximity to so many other people . With the alarmist saying more is on the way. Cuomo has also been providing spending for some unpopular programs. Then there is the State Pension time bomb which may be going Nuclear with the stock market downturn. The virus may be the least of the states problems moving forward. We'll see.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I just received an email from a friend who owns a successful small business that has been around for 30+ years. They employ fewer than 100 professionals, probably closer to 50. Their doors are closed. No new sales in weeks. He says they can make it another few weeks, then will not be able to pull out of the hole. No amount of emergency lending is going to matter, it still needs to be paid back and they are not expecting sales to recover quickly enough. Remember, even if things magically went back to normal, all the normal bills need to be paid and the repayment of these emergency loans comes out of anything left. If that means nothing is left, or you'd still be negative, why reopen.

Very sad. This draconian shutdown better turn out to have been necessary.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
People have been bailing out of New York for years. Mostly because of the high taxes.......
After this, they'll probably have to change all the six lane interstate highways to have five lanes that leave and one that enters.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Very sad. This draconian shutdown better turn out to have been necessary.
Which parts are draconian, and how will we know if they were necessary? If fewer than expected die, then were the measures unnecessary? If more than expected die, were the measures unnecessary?

And how draconian are they? For example, Florida shut down spring break beaches just yesterday, and during the news conference announcing this, the governor said they would not be enforcing the measure, so people needn't fear going to the beach.

The highest outbreaks here are around the cruise ship ports. The same places all those New Yorkers returned from 2 weeks ago.

Much of the country hasn't put in place any isolation measures at all.

There has been no central coordination or orders, so there is no general shutdown to complain about. Companies, states, localities are all doing whatever whenever. You seem to be projecting New York City onto the country as a whole.

Ironically, I wish it was that way...

Mark

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
After this, they'll probably have to change all the six lane interstate highways to have five lanes that leave and one that enters.
Irony seems to be everywhere these days, but after sending all the infected people from Florida to NYC, the governor just now got off TV after complaining that NYC people are heading in droves down to Florida and he doesn't know what to do about it.

Mark

41 - 60 of 91 Posts