SailNet Community banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I just got battens from Sailrite. You probably have your material by now. They shipped my order quick.
I actually called them yesterday to find out if they were shipping. They are. They had a sale that started Monday with a their code. Unfortunately I ordered Friday night. Since they had not shipped yet she gave me the discount. Saved $20. Great customer service from Sailrite.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Speaking of "protocol"... if you want to respond to my PM do it in a PM. You showed you have no respect for the rules skipper.[/QUOTE

Are you upset, that what you thought should be a " secure" transmission was made public?
You really know how to act like a jerk. Mr Tempest.

No I did not think of a PM as a secure transmission but one between two people.

Getting closer to oblivion.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,151 Posts
The latest on the USS Theodore Roosevelt is that the politically appointed acting secretary of the navy, Mr Modly (for some reason I keep transposing the "d" and the "l"), traveled from the US to the ship, at a cost of over $240,000 where he delivered a speech to the crew, denigrating the captain whom he had recently relieved of duty as either "naïve" or "stupid" for distributing his message. As a result of his address to the crew both the morale and readiness of the aircraft carrier to perform its mission were degraded. Once this address became public, Modly was forced to resign as acting secretary. For Modly to think that the content of his address would not get out in public was both naïve and stupid IMHO.

In order to address a growing morale problem aboard the warship, the commander of the 7th Fleet, Vice Admiral Bill Merz, traveled to the ship and is now in a 14 day quarantine - no idea what this cost the US taxpayer. The carrier crew was "struggling in the wake of losing their CO and their perception of the lack of activity regarding fighting the virus," Merz said. "My immediate reaction was our job just got harder for us."

There is speculation that Captain Crozier may be reinstated.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
One of my best friends ran the entire airing of a flat top. He refused to offer an opinion but pointed out the facts. The captain broke protocol. His primary responsibility is to protect his ship and all the souls aboard. He was incorrect in the way he proceeded but entirely correct in his goal and motivation. He was not brought up on charge but relieved of command. His career is over regardless of future fitness reports. He did this knowing that outcome would be inevitable. My hat is off to him. He is what I would want as a commanding officer.
That said his failure to work inside the line of command is actionable. The way that action was taken was way out of line. The secretary of the navy should be removed. A inquiry should (and probably is) take place as to why the captain felt it imperative to use open lines of communication. At all ends this should have been done entirely in house.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
One of my best friends ran the entire airing of a flat top. He refused to offer an opinion but pointed out the facts. The captain broke protocol. His primary responsibility is to protect his ship and all the souls aboard. He was incorrect in the way he proceeded but entirely correct in his goal and motivation. He was not brought up on charge but relieved of command. His career is over regardless of future fitness reports. He did this knowing that outcome would be inevitable. My hat is off to him. He is what I would want as a commanding officer.
That said his failure to work inside the line of command is actionable. The way that action was taken was way out of line. The secretary of the navy should be removed. A inquiry should (and probably is) take place as to why the captain felt it imperative to use open lines of communication. At all ends this should have been done entirely in house.
Can't wait to hear what reason that Cozier's concerns were dismissed by his superior(s). Considering the virus infesting his crew... and he had a fiduciary responsibility he did exactly the right thing by sounding the alarm.

What other option did he really have? Secure/secret and hide the problem?

Cozier has character and he's too good the THAT navy.

+++++

We went shopping for groceries at 7am first hitting Stop N Shop... Not crowded... only 2 check out lanes open. Not all seniors shopping. Well stocked except paper products but found paper towels. Some items missing however

Next super market Fairway.... more crowded. No paper products except single rolls of TP limit 2 per customer. No dish soap! Long check out lines. Not completely stocked, but not bad.

We got home at 9:45. Grocery shopping in the time of Corona is exhausting!

·
11,803 Posts
Find a Wegmanns. Montvale may be the closest

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Can't wait to hear what reason that Cozier's concerns were dismissed by his superior(s). Considering the virus infesting his crew... and he had a fiduciary responsibility he did exactly the right thing by sounding the alarm.

What other option did he really have? Secure/secret and hide the problem?

Cozier has character and he's too good the THAT navy.

+++++

We went shopping for groceries at 7am first hitting Stop N Shop... Not crowded... only 2 check out lanes open. Not all seniors shopping. Well stocked except paper products but found paper towels. Some items missing however

Next super market Fairway.... more crowded. No paper products except single rolls of TP limit 2 per customer. No dish soap! Long check out lines. Not completely stocked, but not bad.

We got home at 9:45. Grocery shopping in the time of Corona is exhausting!
I've been using Peapod delivery for years. Now with the virus customers jumping on I have not been able to get a delivery scheduled. They only allow delivery bookings out to two weeks. Tried to use instacart same issue deliveries are booked. Had good experience with Amazon Whole Foods. Was able to get a delivery same day in a few hours. Also using Uber Eats to get take out once or twice a week to try and keep some of the local restaurants in business. Ordered Pizza and froze a number of slices . I'll probably continue using Uber Eats after things calm down getting use to not having to move the car. Even the idea of going to a restaurant seems pass'e. If they ever open table separations mean less seating and reservations harder to get.

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
One of the things I really miss right now is eating take out. We'd do that 2 or 3 times a week to give my wife a break from the galley when we weren't on charter.

It's not like she is a poor cook or complains, but it is nice to have the change of pace of a meal cooked by someone else.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Capita,

We are still getting take out here. They deliver to the dock so I don’t have to get out of the dink or kayak. Friday night Rotis $15Ec, rib dinner $30ec.

I’ve never lived so high On the hog as here and now. Everything delivered, they even fill my gas cans upon request. If I get any lazier I will need a ventilator. ��

81 - 91 of 91 Posts