SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at the end of the season, I have decided to possibly take on someone else's issues, in the form of Glastron/Spirit 6.5 in good shape at a good price. What I am most concerned about is the owner has registration but no title for the boat and only bill of sale for trailer. Any input as to boat or buying parameters? Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,467 Posts
What year vessel? Vessels of a certain age, or older, may not have titles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No title necessary for a trailer under 2500 lbs. I had a title from Virginia and the DMV refused to give me a Jersey one. As far as the boat, I had a title so unsure of getting the boat transferred to you. I would assume a bill of sale (notorized - I remember that much) should work out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the boat is a '78 so I don't know where that stands as far as needing a title. The current owner only has registration. I guess trailer would have too be registered home-made, however it's done. Anyone familiar with this boat too?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Call your boat registration department and ask them. If you have a notarized bill of sale for the boat and the seller is registered with the state as the actual owner of the boat, there should be no problem whatsoever with registering the boat in your name and getting a title. Title for smaller boats used to be an option in most states so boats that have not changed hands in many years will likely have not been titled.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,070 Posts
screw all that... register the trailer with "mainetrailerregistration.com" and you don't need a title for the trailer, just a BOS, and proof that the prior owner had a registration at some point (proves he had right to sell it).

Notarized BOS for the boat should work, as long as it was sold from out of state, you'll have to pay taxes on trailer (to maine at 5%), and boat (to NJ at 7%).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts