SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just put the main sail on a 31' Almond. I had released the halyard and was tying the main to he boom.

The main halyard is attached to the heard board with a snap shackle of this type:

I had the first sail tie done and ping the halyard disconnects and is floating free about 10' over my head.

I didn't think it would work but I tied a small socket to the light messenger line and after about a dozen throws was successful in snagging the halyard and pulling it back down.

The halyard was slapping around a bit as the wind was about 8 knots but how it managed to disconnect is strange. The spring seems to me OK and it has a lanyard on it.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Snap shackles like that can open pretty regularly. Any time the split ring catches on something as the halyard flogs around it will open. I would change to a screw main halyard shackle. I have never had one of those open.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
With an attached lanyard and a weakened aging locking spring, a snap shackle can easily open and isn't a particularly good choice for a halyard verses a keyed shackle, e.g.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
I am with hylyte. No snap shackles on load bearing lines. Halyards have key shackles

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Yup.
I crewed on a Yamaha 33' in a spinnaker class race. The boat had shackles like that on the spin sheet/guys (dangerous IMO for this application).
We developed a "death roll" and when the inevitable round up/knock down happened the sheet flogged itself so much that the shackle disconnected and took both sheet & guy line with it. No more spin after that since only 1 sheet. Was fine by me, really, but the owner was out probably $80 worth of line.

·
3,506 Posts
If you turn the boat down wind the halyard will start to make it's way back down...

Reactions: Sal Paradise

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,399 Posts
A snap shackle disconnected... Possibly because it wasn't properly closed, or it got snagged... These shackles are good for the quick release on a safety tether BECAUSE they can release under load.

From the title of the thread I thought that you got laid.

·
Banned
325 Posts
I had just put the main sail on a 31' Almond. I had released the halyard and was tying the main to he boom.

The main halyard is attached to the heard board with a snap shackle of this type:

I had the first sail tie done and ping the halyard disconnects and is floating free about 10' over my head.

I didn't think it would work but I tied a small socket to the light messenger line and after about a dozen throws was successful in snagging the halyard and pulling it back down.

The halyard was slapping around a bit as the wind was about 8 knots but how it managed to disconnect is strange. The spring seems to me OK and it has a lanyard on it.
I've the same thing happen to me twice. I like to learn things the hard way. First time on my trailerable, had to lower the mast at an anchorage to retrieve it. Second time was about a month ago on my new 29 footer, got lucky with the hook and retrieved it after about 15 minutes. Both times while lowering the main. I have a small piece of rope tied between the main and shackle now. I like the duck tape idea too.

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
Doesn't anyone tie their halyard on...?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you think this would be less likely to pop loose?

Ronstan Headboard Shackle

It need to be easily removable as the halyard is stored on the rail when not in use.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,056 Posts
Do you think this would be less likely to pop loose?

Ronstan Headboard Shackle

It need to be easily removable as the halyard is stored on the rail when not in use.
That should work nicely!

by the way, you can usually get a halyard to come down if you shake the free end of the halyard, upward... it slowly eases the friction on the halyard sheave, and comes down 6-12 inches at a time.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
That should work nicely!

by the way, you can usually get a halyard to come down if you shake the free end of the halyard, upward... it slowly eases the friction on the halyard sheave, and comes down 6-12 inches at a time.
That's called "dating". Hence the term "dating the guy" or "dating the guy until you can grab him". :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've never seen a boat that had a snap shackle on the main, really. I ordered all my new running rigging from Annapolis Sailing last month, everything came the way I've always seen it, snap shackles for the jib and spinaker, and a "headboard" style for the main.

Dave, is the Allmand 31 yours?

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Not if properly moused.
But that defeats the purpose of a snap shackle. Better to go with a proper halyard shackle

Reactions: christian.hess
1 - 20 of 40 Posts