SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately with trying to keep up with the house, fixing it up,mortgage, housemates that seem to think just paying rent is all they should do. I'm thinking how much nicer it would be to have a 36ft or larger boat all to myself sitting at a nice marina. (2 cabins a must) Can you hear the big sigh? SIGH

I know it's far from romantic and practical in this climate, and I actually think the west coast would be more for me. I really hate hot weather! over 80 is too hot! (not going to do well in hell!)

I could probably outfit my O30 to be a live aboard, but my list of wants would be overkill for the boat and it's age. New Yanmar, folding prop, shaft, genset (not possible) ac and heat, (I'm in the hvac biz so that's not a prob) New sails and a double head sail with new furling gear. Much of All that would be easier found in another boat I know. (another Big sigh)

Oh well back to mopping the kitchen floor!

·
Sunsets and Warm Beer....
2,116 Posts
Sell it all! :D

Is it a possibility down the road? Make it happen.

I had an interview the other week and got the typical, where do you see yourself in 5 years... I told them, ultimately I like to be able to work from my boat! Boy did that get some looks, especially since I live in Ohio. People just don't think that way here.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not to taunt you, Denise, but I lived aboard my Catalina 36 for several years in Marina del Rey in L.A. and it was absolutely HEAVEN. I say do it now before you accumulate a ton of [email protected] that you will talk yourself into believing that you can't live without. That's where I am now. Having married, bought a house, raised a kid, divorced (I'm such a cliche), I think about moving back aboard when I retire. But, "where would I put the 70" TV, and how could I live without high speed internet, where would I keep the cars and motorcycles, how about the laundry", etc, etc, etc.

Do it now, you only go around once.

Mike

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
closer than you think?

Denise, if you look again at your wish list, most of the items are about sailing, not about living aboard. Consider the very small investment you'd need to make your present boat comfortable to live on at a marina: electric space heaters for winter, portable A/C for summer. The extra happiness you might have, and the money you can save - since you're already paying for the slip in addition to your rent/mortgage, which you'd no longer pay - will enable you to save quickly for the 36-footer, new yanmar, folding prop, etc.

Of course, any time I provide advice like that you have to consider the source, living aboard for 8 years now, so I'm biaseed that way <*smile*>

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Listen to Eryka... what she says makes a lot of sense...

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm listening! thanks Eryka! I'm actually kind of spoiled being at a YC. It costs me less then $600 a yr to keep my boat. We have moorings though.
I do love the Eastern shore of Ches. Bay and suppose that's where I'll wind up one way or another.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Denise,

Unless you plan to follow the seasons up and down a coast (either one) you'll want A/C. In-built heat beats the heck out of space heaters.

A/C means either a genset or a slip. The DC A/C systems exist but the power draw is still too high for long-term on the hook without a generator.

I tend to agree with your inclination that making a liveaboard out of your ODay 30 would result in too big an investment in that boat. I'd encourage you not to get too big. In my experience the costs for slips and--more importantly--the availability of slips above 42 - 43 feet is really limiting. I'm perfectly happy single-handing boats up to 47 - 50 feet, but I'm very glad I bought a 40 and not a 43 or bigger.

@MikeinLA - All of the things you mentioned, except perhaps for the 70" TV can be managed.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
When I decided to retire early and liveaboard, I did so knowing it wouldn't always be what I hoped for, but, that it would be better than what I had. That I think, is the question you are facing.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And be part of your restoration team charlie? just kidding! (sort of LOL)

Don't winters get pretty cold, down right sub zero?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you agreeing with me SV, My O30 would be tough to live on even though I could design heat and air that would be very well concealed. I do have a nice force 10 stove in the galley though. S

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
I know what you're feeling. I wish I'd bought a boat instead of a house. Everyone said what a good investment a house is, you have to buy a house, blaa blaa. It's worth 60% of what I paid, worst investment ever. We feel trapped. Now we're selling everything so we can leave this faulty machine and see the world.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sell house & boat to get a bigger boat.The larger the boat the more to do & greater expense.I down sized & very happy with smaller.Remember all boats are compromises.marc

·
Catalina 36 Liveaboard
23 Posts
And be part of your restoration team charlie? just kidding! (sort of LOL)

Don't winters get pretty cold, down right sub zero?
Heck we are lucky to have snow once a year! The typical year here gets down to 20 degrees for less than a week and usually stays above freezing most of the time. I live aboard a Catalina 36 with the wife and family in Seattle. It is a very good life what with the amazing amount of sheltered cruising and fun racing that happens all year long.

A diesel forced air or (better yet) hydronic heater for winter is the only thing that I would recommend. There are several that can be retrofit into a small boat.

(We had to turn ours on this morning due to it being too cold overnight so I know mine works!)

dont wait too long as they have already said. It is so much better to be on the water than to be thinking about it...

Thor

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh.. thanks chuckles but I love keel boats. I'd go for a trawler if it weren't a keel boat! (ducking out of sight) lol

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
If you'd go for a trawler before you go for a catamaran, you're an evil and low person...obviously a powerboater at heart... :D

oh.. thanks chuckles but I love keel boats. I'd go for a trawler if it weren't a keel boat! (ducking out of sight) lol

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Errr... ok.. Pilot house sailer then. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts