SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where in the USA could you be boating and be in a place where you wouldn't see other people for days or weeks? Pure solitude.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You said boating, not sailing. I think there are river trips in Northern Maine, Alaska, perhaps in the Southwest, and so on that would qualify as remote. If you were limiting it to sailing, I think AK is the place. Though you could create some solitude by sailing during the off-season in some locations - maybe Maine in the winter?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Not US, But not Alaska either.

East coast of Quebec. Newfoundland.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
I once did a story where I asked people their favorite place to hike/bike...

I soon realized this is a question that never gets a good answer, since people don't want to tell --- in this case --- where to go to find no one. It is counterproductive.

Ask for a second or third choice...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The windward side of any of the Channel Islands off of California are pretty remote and desolate most of the time.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I've discovered that secluded places are generally brought about because either they are hard to get too, or no one wants to go there.

Choose wisely.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Trust me, you can create a fair bit of solitude by sailing to Maine in the winter :)

Honestly, that's not something you see every day. Snow while under sail. I love it! Strange, we are taught not to sail in inclement weather if we can help it. I've always disagreed. While I wouldn't go out in a dangerous gale, I relish a bit of inclement weather. How else to learn how to sail in it when you aren't expecting to? Sadly, none of my sailing buddies share my enthusiasm...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a little beach cruising boat, besides my 28 ft cruising boat. With the little boat i traveled some quite remote places. 10000 islands/Everglades coast in Florida, Maine islands trail, upstate NY lakes, it is quite possible to find a solitude in small boat if you step off a beaten path.

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
There are a bunch of keys, islets and reefs between Key West and the Dry Tortugas that one can hide out in for quite a while without having any company. There's often a boat passing, a mile or 3 away, but that as close as most get. Also, the Everglades/Shark River area can be pretty isolated.

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
Where in the USA could you be boating and be in a place where you wouldn't see other people for days or weeks? Pure solitude.

How would anyone know, no one goes there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a little beach cruising boat, besides my 28 ft cruising boat. With the little boat i traveled some quite remote places. 10000 islands/Everglades coast in Florida, Maine islands trail, upstate NY lakes, it is quite possible to find a solitude in small boat if you step off a beaten path.
That's true. I can find satisfying solitude in some surprising places. I used to find it on small boats in wilderness lakes in the Northeast.

These days, I find all the solitude I seek on the coast of Maine. I can't find many(any?) places devoid of human existence here(or anywhere in this region), but if I want to be alone, I can find that pretty easily.

Small boats and shallow draft can give you a whole layer of unique solitude just off some heavily traveled waterways.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That's right up there with telling people where your favorite hunting spot is:)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I find adequate solitude for us on certain parts of Lake Champlain (to be sure, there are busy parts as well). I have countless places to anchor overnight within 10 miles of our mooring where we are guaranteed to be the only boat aside from some passing fishermen now and again. Not "off the beaten path" by any means, but then again the boat is only a few miles from our house.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Trust me, you can create a fair bit of solitude by sailing to Maine in the winter :)

In Maine you will always see someone on the water as we have a large commercial fishing fleet that operate year round. Recreationally, boating starts to drop off significantly at Labor Day. We do our annual cruise in September and enjoy uncrowded mooring fields and waterfronts. I have been in plenty of anchorages in the spring and fall in Maine and been the only boat.

Jon, you walked right past my boat when going to yours. When were you here? We sail as late as December but unstep the mast and wrap the boat for winter.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Two places on the US East Coast can be quite 'solitary':

• Delaware Bay with no 'ports' between Cape May / Lewes De. and the C&D canal .... about 60 miles of tidal salt marsh, and virtually NO people.

• Eastern North Carolina - most of the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds. With the exception of the outer banks and a few inland towns its all pristine wilderness marsh .... and virtually NO people.

Bring your bug spray, etc. as that's why few live in these places.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts