SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
401 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it intuitive for you when you sail or do you understand the principal and know how to use it to your advantage?

I'm not trying to say I understand it all, but when realizing it and studying more about it, many things about sailing fell into place one day to give that "AH HAH !" feeling.

What's your experience with it?

Andrew

· Registered
401 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this article and thought is was thought provoking in a good way. This is what made me ask the question. Give it a read.

SHNOOL- I think its more towards center of lateral resistance, but actually a sum of all the forces involved in an manuever- be it wind, wave, current, any sail combination, or under engine power.

desert rat- not really, more like a Homer Simpson "Doh!" feeling when it all clicks for you and you realize where your pivot point is in any given manuever.

http://www.cnrs-scrn.org/northern_mariner/vol09/nm_9_3_53-59.pdf

Cheers,
Andrew

· Registered
401 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not only tacking, but sailing in and out of tight spots if your engine quits on you. That's where knowing this is necessary.

Cheers

· Registered
401 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's why I threw it out to the forum. To get other view points. They seem intertwined in a way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.