SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our 1981 C&C 32 there is a 1/4"stainless steel pin, about 3" long with 1" of thread on it.
It sit's in the centre of the skeg right in front of the rudder. It screws into the hull all the way to the end of the threads.
It is not unique to just our boat as I have found pictures of other C&C 32's with the same pin in the same spot.
Does anyone have any idea as to what this pin is for?

·
19,485 Posts
I've seen that before too.. I always assumed it's merely a pin to deflect debris from finding its way into the slot between the skeg and the top of the rudder balancing tab and jamming things up.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,622 Posts
it's pretty common. here's my rudder about 4 yrs ago. just before we did barrier coat on the bottom. see the pin?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although it seems extremely small for deflecting debris away from the gap at the top of the rudder.
I just heard back from a very reliable source who knows the C&C 32 very well and that's what it is for.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It not a picture of a C&C 32, nor is that a picture of my boat.
It's a picture of Denise030's boat.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Although it seems extremely small for deflecting debris away from the gap at the top of the rudder.
I just heard back from a very reliable source who knows the C&C 32 very well and that's what it is for.
Seems to me that it will only deflect debris in the straight ahead position, if at all. And if debris goes into the slot while the helm is turned, it will be quite difficult to get it out when straight ahead again. (I'm referring to Denise's picture, don't know C&C boats at all).

Seems a little hit-n-miss to me.

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
Wouldn't that be what the skeg is there for; to deflect debris from the rudder?
A pin seems superfluous, don't you think?
Have any of you considered that it's for a zinc?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
If you've ever gotten a line jammed into that slot, like a stray mooring line or pickup line, you'll appreciate how just a little piece of 1/4" rod would be enough to prevent the jam.

Debris? Not really, but enough to prevent a lot of inconvenience at next to no cost.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not for a zinc as it doesn't go through to anywhere.
It's been confirmed by very knowledgeable C&C people that it is meant to cut kelp or deflect debris and keep it from getting caught in the gap between the top of the rudder and the hull.
The skeg does not drop down enough to cover this gap.
It's "mystery solved" so no point in second guessing the experts on this.
I would post a picture but it is a pita to do that on this website for such a simple already solved mystery.
Thank you for everyone's input.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
It might not stop a tree trunk, but it would keep a crab/lobster pot line from going into the slot. Be a good bit easier to remove from the pin that it would the slot too.

If you don't know what it's for then don't remove it. Might be the belly button of the boat and once pulled the boat will just fall apart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.