SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing A LOT of younger people getting into sailing and cruising. And that's very, very cool.

We know about DrakeP and the Hold Fast folks - but there's lots more out there.

Let's make this thread about them.

Go the kids!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
The Daphne Chick:

Teresa and her partner Ben have moved up to a Norseman 447... So much for "minimalism"... :)

I like this guy...

The Pros and Cons of Living on a Sailboat in the Caribbean - The Atlantic

I've been seeing A LOT of younger people getting into sailing and cruising. And that's very, very cool.
Are you seeing them 'out there', or on the internet?

Because in my opinion, at least along the East coast and into the Islands, I think there was a higher percentage of youngsters out there 20 years ago...

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Teresa and her partner Ben have moved up to a Norseman 447... So much for "minimalism"... :)

Are you seeing them 'out there', or on the internet?

Because in my opinion, at least along the East coast and into the Islands, I think there was a higher percentage of youngsters out there 20 years ago...
I'm seeing them both places. In all the offshore races I've done there are always LOTS of young monkeys doin' it - both crewing and owning. And now I'm coming across many more youngsters on the interwebs. I think it's cool.

And I know, I know, "it will never be like it was 20 years ago". But then again, it never is, is it?

I'm just psyched to see them out there.

PS - I'd forgotten about David. Good catch! And as for Teresa and Ben...good for them. That's a nice boat.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
I follow DrakeP. If he's a kid, I might be younger than I thought. :) Sorry, Drake.

HoldFast kids were a fraud to gin up anarchist rebels. Curiously, I've watched several of Moxie's internet security presentations (as he's actually quite wealthy) and they're interesting.

Whitespot chick is a fraud too. Once the boat hit the water, which I'm convinced was a rebuild scam paid for by her sponsors, she's almost silent.

There was a young recently married couple on Sailnet that were cruising from Michigan to the Keys or the Caribbean that seemed like the real deal. There boat was injured somewhere along the East Coast and I lost track of them. They still around here?

There was another young lady on sailnet, an author iirc, that moved aboard and managed to be holed by a stinkpot at anchor. Think she sold the boat and moved back ashore.

Nevertheless, good thread Smack. Go kids is right! Real ones.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I'm drawing a blank on the name (not enough veggies in my diet), but remember the controversial guy who rehab'd the Alberg 30 with his GF/wife, and then sold it?

I always thought it was a shame that they went to all that trouble, only to decide that they didn't like liveaboard life.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
Smackdaddy, you are dreaming, Dude...

Sailing is a dying sport/activity/pastime. Sleeping on a sailboat might be on the rise, thanks to the miraculous economic "recovery" we are "enjoying", but actually going out on the water and using the forces of nature to move the boat is on the decline.

Sailing is on life support, literally and figuratively. Most of the people I see are in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. With the death of the WWII generation and we baby boomers, sailing will be reduced to a bare minimum. I see very few sailboats out sailing, in spite of the marina dwellers lurking around the docks.

Check the Sporting Goods Association statistics for the health of sailing....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
....Sailing is on life support, literally and figuratively. Most of the people I see are in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. With the death of the WWII generation and we baby boomers, sailing will be reduced to a bare minimum. I see very few sailboats out sailing.....
While it is on the decline, I'm not quite as fatalistic as you. The dominant demo around our parts seems to be 50-55. We have some of the most sailing friendly grounds, so this may not be all that astounding, but sailboats clearly outnumber stinkpots on the water around here. Marinas, on the other hand, must have at least as many stinkpots, but we real boaters get out on the water much more. :)

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
I'm drawing a blank on the name (not enough veggies in my diet), but remember the controversial guy who rehab'd the Alberg 30 with his GF/wife, and then sold it?

I always thought it was a shame that they went to all that trouble, only to decide that they didn't like liveaboard life.
I'm not flaming this up by identifying him, as he's on my ignore list. However, suffice it to say, he took no one's advice and built a boat that would be hard for 99% of humans to liveaboard, let along cruise. They had never sailed outside their protected harbor either, but seemed to know exactly what they wanted to go cruising, iirc.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Oh yeah - wasn't it Chrisncate or something like that? I don't think they ever actually sailed. Did a great job on the rehab though.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Chrisncate- That was him/them.

Yes, they did a beautiful job on the boat.

Minne- You sail aboard a 54 foot boat. I think you have difficult relating to people who cram themselves into much smaller vessels. That said, even my old P30 has more room below than an Alberg 30.

If I recall, one of the things that they simply couldn't get over, was that there was only a 1/2 inch plywood bulkhead separating the berthing space from the toilet. Sort of a germaphobe thing.

He basically discovered that he enjoyed working on boats more than sailing boats.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts