SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've accomplished a number of milestones in my 71 years and been in a slump for the past 2, pondering my future for some reason one evening in June I woke up in the early AM and couldn't get sailing out of my mind? Wife and I took ASA101 and passed, interesting in the sailing portion on Clear Lake TX the wind disappeared, calm before the storm, but in the distance lightning thunder and very dark clouds within a few minutes the storm was on us. The instructor gave us the option to head back for lunch and return but I wasn't interested in doing it all over again so with the wife at the tiller, me holding my hat, the boat heeled over and the instructor shouting out orders we finished...what a trip!, believe I'm hooked! We Mentor sail on August 2nd and I do the 3 day live aboard August 9th then on to nautical school for technical training, 2 days. What should my plan be after I pass all the ASA courses? I would like to stay in the GOM, travel Florida do BVI down to Aruba then up the coast of Mexico back to Texas, how should I prepare for such a journey? I have no health issues, I run two 5K's a day and in the gym 3x's a week. I need some veteran advice....or should I just take up Knitting? thanks augie

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Sounds like you should start thinking about a boat. Just thinking about it and doing research will keep you out of mischief for quite a long time. We met an American couple cruising in South Africa who are now in Europe. This summer's plan was to do down the Danube to the Black Sea and then head into the Med. They would be returning to the US after a 19 year circumnavigation in 2016. He is 80 or 81 this year. Age is not a big problem as long as you are healthy and fit. Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you should start thinking about a boat. Just thinking about it and doing research will keep you out of mischief for quite a long time. We met an American couple cruising in South Africa who are now in Europe. This summer's plan was to do down the Danube to the Black Sea and then head into the Med. They would be returning to the US after a 19 year circumnavigation in 2016. He is 80 or 81 this year. Age is not a big problem as long as you are healthy and fit. Good luck.
just what I've been doing and Beneteau keeps popping up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts