SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vets
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we bed things to our decks with a variety of products (e.g. butyl tape, polysulfide, etc) but what is the purpose of bedding?

Obviously it provides protection from leaking at the penetration through the deck.

Is it also for strength? If so, when bedding something that doesn't require additional strength than the mechanical fasteners, can one not just bed the fasteners?

Are there any other reasons to bed things?

Thanks!
Dennis

P.S. I'm not particularly interested in which product is the best bedding option here ... just why and how to properly bed different items to the deck.

·
Master Mariner
9,417 Posts
Bedding should be only be a waterproofing layer between what is to be bedded and the surface it is bedded on. It should NOT be an adhesive in any way or shape as there are very few things which are meant to be permanently installed on a vessel. Even something like windows or hatches do require maintenance or repair, from time to time and if glued, it becomes a serious, unnecessary project to remove them.
This is why I prefer the one product actually developed specifically for this purpose; bedding compound.

Reactions: BarryL

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
I agree with capta.

Simply bedding the fasteners is asking for trouble. Butyl is good (see Maine Sail's posts on the subject here and on pbase). If you use caulk-type sealant it is best to hand tighten everything and clean up. After the sealant sets up tighten the fasteners down. This allows the sealant to better act as a gasket.

·
Vets
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really thinking about gluing anything to the deck. It was more a matter of why would you use a bedding compound of any kind (butyl tape, bedding compound etc) under the entire surface of what you're bedding if all you're trying to do is seal around the fasteners. Why not just bevel the edges of the fastener holes and seal them with butyl tape or bedding compound?

Thanks again,
Dennis

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
I know we bed things to our decks with a variety of products (e.g. butyl tape, polysulfide, etc) but what is the purpose of bedding?

Obviously it provides protection from leaking at the penetration through the deck.

Is it also for strength? If so, when bedding something that doesn't require additional strength than the mechanical fasteners, can one not just bed the fasteners?

Are there any other reasons to bed things?

Thanks!
Dennis

P.S. I'm not particularly interested in which product is the best bedding option here ... just why and how to properly bed different items to the deck.
Considering your listed locale, for a start Google "Capillary Action"; then Google "Change in Water Density with Temperature"; then Google "Rock Erosion due to Wedging". Go from there...

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
Beat me to it, Hy. Ice under anything will lift it .Easterners may find it hard to believe but it actually gets that cold here occasionally.
Yep...then Google "Crevice Corrosion"...

·
bell ringer
6,184 Posts
Bedding to me is mostly about preventing leaks. But I feel it also needs to address preventing things from loosening if it isn't a connection that has a bolt/lock washer/nut assembly. I'm not saying it is an adhesive as in gluing things together (unless it it is fastened it wouldn't for the most part) but it needs to help prevent turning/loosening or it will just start leaking later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.