SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I just started my search for the perfect (for me) used sailboat and I am hoping to gleam some good ideas and suggestions for everyone. This will be my 3rd sailboat so I am not a complete novice but I am also far from a world class voyager. My parameters are:
1. Fixed keel with a draft closer to 4 feet than 5 feet
2. Bridge clearance less than 50 feet is a must
3 Two comfortable double-berths (wife appeal)
4. Keel or skeg hung rudder
5. Single mast rig
6. Price limit under $120k
My search so far has landed me on boats in the 35-37 foot range. My favorites to date in order of preference are:
1. Island Packet 350
2. Cabo Rico 34
3. Com-Pac 35
4. Calaber 35 LRC
Even though I do not plan to venture into open oceans beyond a possible crossing to the Bahamas, I want a boat capable of more extensive crossings. I look forward to all comments and opinions.

·
Registered
557 Posts
findrichard,

Have you considered a Nor'Sea 27? Works for all you want including capable of going around the world. AND, can go to weather at 55 MPH. Costs less to sail and way less not to sail. We sailed the San Francisco Bay area last year, will be sailing New Orleans (for Mardi Gras) and on to Florida starting in Feb. Who knows next time.....:D

We lived aboard full time for years! :)

Greg

·
19,488 Posts
Moving away from the attached rudder requirement will open up a lot more options.. esp with a nice budget like that..

But given your list the Caliber LRC stands out for me.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
35' boat, 50' bridge clearance, with a single mast seems like a tough set of parameters. How important is sailing performance?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg,
Ah, yes the Nor Sea 27. I remember looking at that boat back in the mid 80's when I was looking for a trailerable sailboat. It was actually my dream boat back then but financial reality caused me to settle for a Catalina 25 of which I had no complaints except size. Now I will be mooring my next boat just a short row from the house and am thinking I want a bit more room than the Nor Sea offers. What a sweet boat though! Thanks for the memories, are they still in production?
Richard

·
Registered
557 Posts
Greg,
Thanks for the memories, are they still in production?
Richard
Yes, they are still in limited production. The owner of the company will make one if he likes you. He is now making the Montgomery line (15, 17 & 23).

Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alex,
Sailing performance is important from a cruising boat perspective. I do not want to get into a racing class boat because comfort and sea-kindly are equally important. I have actually found more than a dozen 35' boats with mast heights below 50'.
Richard

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greg,
Thanks, but new boats are out of my budget, which is why I am looking for quality built used boats of which the Nor Sea 27 is certainly one. I am going to look for them in the used boat market. If there is one close I think I will have to go look.
Richard

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I am a believer that everything has to be overbuilt for the what if, worse case contingencies. If my boat ever drags anchor or breaks free in a storm and ends up on the shore, I would like to be able to pull it off intact as much as possible. Do you have any experience with the Caliber 35 LRC?
Richard

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Personally, I would suggest a Hans Christian or Cape George boat. Both are ones I would consider if I was to upsize from my own Nor'sea (which likely won't happen, but doesn't hurt to look :) ). I've seen some Hans Christians with Pulman berths that might fit what you are looking for too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Daniel, I like the Hans Christian but I did not find any with shoal draft. They were all over 5' draft which just won't fit where I need to moor it. Cape George is new to me, I will have a look, thanks.
Richard

·
19,488 Posts
Yes, I am a believer that everything has to be overbuilt for the what if, worse case contingencies. If my boat ever drags anchor or breaks free in a storm and ends up on the shore, I would like to be able to pull it off intact as much as possible. Do you have any experience with the Caliber 35 LRC?
Richard
Assuming this was directed at me.. no, no direct experience per se. It's the only one that's not a full keel/attached rudder type unless I've misremembered..

I suppose if my boat 'lived' on a mooring in an area prone to the exposures of seas and winds my priorities might be different, but I value close quarters maneouverability and general sailing responsiveness too highly to consider any full keeler.. JMO, of course... ;)

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Sailing performance is important from a cruising boat perspective. I do not want to get into a racing class boat because comfort and sea-kindly are equally important. I have actually found more than a dozen 35' boats with mast heights below 50'.
I'm surprised that there are so many which would have a SA/D that allows for any light air sailing. My 28.5' boat won't be easily confused with most racing boats and SA/D of around 17 when flying a 100% headsail. The 38' mast plus 3' antenna and 4' mast step over water puts me pretty close to that 50' number. The 33' version of my boat (Pearson 33-2) looks like it would not fit under a 50' bridge with a masthead antenna. Nor would a Pacific Seacraft 34 (bridge clearance of 48' before you add an antenna), which is pegged hard on the cruiser side of the line and has a no light air sailing SA/D of 15.

You can consider the antenna as able to handle minor impacts with bridges, but a wind instrument and anchor light usually sit up on top of the mast as well and water levels can vary a bit. For that reason I normally add 3' as the safe bridge clearance number over the masthead from waterline number.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm surprised that there are so many which would have a SA/D that allows for any light air sailing. My 28.5' boat won't be easily confused with most racing boats and SA/D of around 17 when flying a 100% headsail. The 38' mast plus 3' antenna and 4' mast step over water puts me pretty close to that 50' number. The 33' version of my boat (Pearson 33-2) looks like it would not fit under a 50' bridge with a masthead antenna. Nor would a Pacific Seacraft 34 (bridge clearance of 48' before you add an antenna), which is pegged hard on the cruiser side of the line and has a no light air sailing SA/D of 15.

You can consider the antenna as able to handle minor impacts with bridges, but a wind instrument and anchor light usually sit up on top of the mast as well and water levels can vary a bit. For that reason I normally add 3' as the safe bridge clearance number over the masthead from waterline number.
Alex,
The bridge clearance of 50' for me is not a restriction that will keep me from sailing, I just don't want to shut out the option for a portion of my cruising grounds. My last boat, an Allied Princess, I modified to allow me to tilt the main mast enough to cross under a 43' bridge. Every time I went under the bridge my antenna atop the mizzen mast would slap each rib of the bridge structure. I did not like it and don't want to live with that issue again. The IP 350 for example, has a bridge clearance of 48'4" which should allow enough space for a short whip antenna during normal tides. Light-air sailing is not my favorite thing to do, especially in the Florida sun on a summer day. I don't usually get motivated to go for a sail if the wind is not stiff enough to keep the power boat wakes from spilling my air.
Richard

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Assuming this was directed at me.. no, no direct experience per se. It's the only one that's not a full keel/attached rudder type unless I've misremembered..

I suppose if my boat 'lived' on a mooring in an area prone to the exposures of seas and winds my priorities might be different, but I value close quarters maneouverability and general sailing responsiveness too highly to consider any full keeler.. JMO, of course... ;)
Faster, I can fully appreciate what you are saying. I myself do enjoy crewing on racing boats, I just make a better crew member than a skipper around the buoys. My first boat was a Catalina 22 in my younger days, and did enjoy the one-design regattas more than my placing showed. My last race with my 22 I went from first place to last place on the last half of the last leg due to a bad tactical decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts