SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorta thought Spring might never come up here in the Northeast (Lake Champlain). I watched the ice go out just last month. But, Spring did come, and it's been a good one. Lots of temps in the 70s and dry days over the past couple of weeks.

Got the bottom painted a couple weekends ago. It was a slap-it-on-in-under-two-hours kind of job, but hey, who sees the bottom anyway.

The yard dropped me in last week, and on Saturday I fired up the diesel (always a little anticipation there) and off I went.

Wind was from the south at about 5, and I needed to go south, so I just motored the 12 miles to my mooring ball while scrubbing the decks and drinking beer. I figure that's about the most motoring I do at one time all season, and it's good for the Yanmar to run a bit. My little 1 gm purred the whole way. Love that 35 year old engine.

Ah, what a sight. (I won't go through the mishap of losing the halyard for my furler 2/3 of the way up the mast, and miraculously snagging it with a jury rigged hook on the end of an unsteady 25 foot telescoping pole.)

Looking forward to another great season on the water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm very jealous! I also have a Seafarer 26 that I sail on Lake Champlain. I don't think she'll be launched for another 3 weeks or so. Missing out on valuable sailing time!

Where are you located on the lake in that 2nd picture? It looks very familiar to me, possibly around Thompsons Point?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am on the Inland Sea (between the Islands and Vermont shore). The second picture is looking south toward the Sand Bar / Causeway to the Islands. The point of land on the right is Grand Isle and Savage Island is straight ahead just off the starboard bow, with the Vermont shore off in the distance to the left.

I just saw a Seafarer 26 moored in Burlington yesterday on the moorings south of Perkins Pier. First one I've seen on the Lake in the 3 seasons I have had mine. Glad to know there are more of them out there. It's a great boat for the Lake.

I store at a different marina in the winter than where I moor for the season, hence the 12 miles.

·
Captain Obvious
2,424 Posts
I am very interested in Lake Champlain Sailing. Last year we took our Catalina 22 to Lake George for a couple of weeks of Island hopping. Seems like Champlain is just another hour of driving and looks bigger but I can't find much information on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lake Champlain is a great Lake to sail on. I moor in Converse Bay just off Garden Island in Charlotte. I actually operate the small Ferry between the island and mainland and the mooring is one of the perks!

Lake George is also a great lake although, I think at times a little small. My family has a cabin on the north end of the Lake and we love it. My father has been going to the same area since the early 60's. Lake Champlain offers great sailing although I would suggest starting north of the Champlain bridge around Westport. It's a little wider there, and no shortage of nice bays to drop anchor in for the night.

·
Not so new Member
10 Posts
We got in 5 weeks ago and have been out 4 times in two weekends. It was tough getting everything done in the cold. Thank goodness my daughter is older now. HUGE help even if it keeps me from traversing the ladder less times.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Willsboro would be a good location for either daysails from a fixed location, or for heading out on 2-3 day cruises. A couple great restaurants within Willsboro Bay. I guess the only caution is that you are on the largest part of the lake (~9 miles across to Burlington and as much as 40 miles of open water north/south), so with even a modest wind blowing you may question wanting to leave the protection of Willsboro Bay in your Catalina 22. Further north around the Islands (North Hero, Grand Isle, South Hero) there are many more bays and islands which can be explored without worrying about crossing a big stretch of open water if the wind kicks up.

Hit me up via PM if you book something on the Lake or have any questions. I've been on this Lake all my life and would be happy to lend some insights and itineraries based on what you are looking to do. From secluded anchorages at uninhabited islands, to sandy beaches, or to dining and nightlife over in Burlington, there's a lot of options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts