SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys would sail to Bermuda on this bucket...in November...with one other guy? Visit the website RAWFAITHADVENTURES.COM and and read about the strange voyage of "Raw Faith".

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,184 Posts

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
From the USCG Press Release:
"The crew of the vessel stated they had two life rafts, one survival suit and a hand-held radio on board. A Coast Guard helicopter crew from Cape Cod attempted to deliver additional safety gear to the crew of the Raw Faith, but weather conditions did not permit. Currently weather on scene is 25-30 knot winds with seas running 10-15 feet...."

Jaysus.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Here's a twist. Some scuttlebutt posted elsewhere:
"The RawFaith has been at the docks belonging to the National Park Service. Though he was given permission to use the docks, now he says he doesn't have the crew to leave, he wants to stay the winter. They want him out of there, so they called the Salem Harbormaster. They had a little shouting match, and the Harbormaster arrested the good captain for trespassing. I believe he yelled at the HM something along the lines of, "You won't be happy till I take the boat out to sea and sink her..."

He has till the 9th of December to leave or the case goes to court. He says he'll gladly leave, but he doesn't have crew, and he has to wait for the weather. We've heard the story before, now he wants to head to Bermuda, but has to wait for the right wind direction. The HM doesn't want him to send him out to sea, but if he can't stay at the NPS dock, there's no place else in Salem for her to stay. Salem's HM asked me how big a crew he'd need and I think I said at least 6..."

Hmmmmmm....

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
This joker has been running this boat on a shoestring for YEARS, and running his mouth about it for just as long. this is not the first time he has had to be rescued by the coasties.
I am assuming she is salvage now. Apparently, it was taking on water. Who knows, maybe even a very nice and new reef?

Brian

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,184 Posts
From "Boats of Shame" thread

I'm surprised that Raw Faith has not shown up on the list yet:

Raw Faith and a crew of two left from Salem Harbor, MA bound for Bermuda on December 5. The crew were rescued by the USCG after the ship became disabled off the coast of Nantucket on Dec 7.

Coast Guard Rescues Crew Of 'Raw Faith' - Video - WMTW Portland

The ship is reported to have structural damage (how can one tell:confused:) and CG have NOT taken the ship in tow (and probably won't), and are currently deciding what to do with the vessel. The Coast Guard Cutter Reliance will remain on scene with the RawFaith.

I think that the Atlantic could use a new reef, right about where she is. Too bad that she has fuel aboard...

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
I looked through the site and apparently it did sink. I don't know the whole story behind it, but I will say I feel sorry foranyone that would put their entire life work into something then lose it that quickly. Especially on a boat, which we all seem to build especially close attachments to.

Obviously she was not very sea worthy, or he missed some critical components somewhere. 20-25 and 10-15 waves should not be that threatening.

My opinions.

Brian

·
Large Member
1,000 Posts
Hopefully the USCG used it for target practice and most of the fuel burned up to protect the little fishes.

At least this keeps the USCG for having to rescue the crew time and time again.

Can you believe they actually had a epirb??

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
88 ft boat.
2 man crew.
1 survival suit.
No engine.

The skipper/builder was a menace and damned lucky nobody has died as a result of his arrogance.
+2

This guy completely disregarded proven and accepted boat building practices, safety and sound engineering yet insisted he was the one being maligned.

There have been THREE USCG rescues since 2004 of the Raw Faith!! THREE!!!!!!

None of these rescues were in weather that should have even ruffled the feathers of an 88 foot vessel hell a good sailor could have sailed a Mac through this... I for one am glad the hulk sank before killing anyone, let alone a poor innocent handicapped child, which was the original intent of the skipper.

Can you say DELUSIONAL with a side order of Seroquel or Zyprexa.......:D

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,184 Posts
She hasn't sunk yet...

May I suggest a Viking Funeral for the vessel?

Or perhaps this;

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
She hasn't sunk yet...
Quote:

"The Coast Guard reported just before 9 a.m. that the vessel sank with no one aboard about 118 miles southeast of the island, and asked that all mariners transiting the area keep a lookout and report sightings of any debris."

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Something tells me we are going to see the skipper working the church circuit shortly, telling his tale of woe and adventure and soliciting donations to do it all over again.

The worst part is that he is gonna get donations. People love the story of a lone man following a dream against all odds , fighting the authorities determined to end his quest...
hell this guy could end up becoming a Tea Party spokesman.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts