SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the opening editorial of Boat US Magazine:

"During a luncheon sponsored by Boat US, Ohio Rep. Joyce Beatty told us, "The thing I like about boating is that it doesn't matter whether you are Democrat or Republican, white or black, man or woman, the only thing that matters is the size of your boat!"

I really don't think she meant what she actually said. I hope not. I wonder if Boat US meant it, through, at least subconsciously.

What she should have said is " '''what matters is boating!" or something like that. Sail or power, big or small, fresh or salt, I like them all and have done them all. The last thing it is about is the size of your boat.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I wouldn't read any meanings into her quote. Most of the elected officials I know personally (about a dozen on the federal and state level) are dumber than rocks if you speak to them about everyday things that affect the ordinary person. They are mostly only interested in the next election cycle and how much money could be expected if they agree with you. Look up the book titled "Drain the Swamp" by Colorado 4th District Representative Ken Buck, a former Weld County DA. He lays out the problem with DC without regard to political affliction. Ken's wife is a State Senator and is even more of a tenacious limited government fighter than he is.

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
seems another reason to not take the things boating writers/editors write too seriously or to falsely believe that they are always right

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't read any meanings into her quote....
The Rep's statement was off the cuff. Whatever, doesn't matter. What bothered me was Boat US felt it was helpful to repeat it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Mine is the Goldilocks of boats: not too big and not too small :grin.

Still, this question got me wondering, what is the breakdown of LOA for Sailnet members. Sounds like a fun poll.
What ever it is, it’s growing!

Now do you measure LOA, LOD, LWL, or tonnage? (I vote tonnage)

We were just looking at an Island Packet CC cutter (on the dock, not inside). and discussing it. It looked really funny and small to our eyes, yet I think it’s listed as larger than ours. But if you deduct 2’ for the the sugar scoop and 2’ for the sprit, then the size sounds about right.

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
What ever it is, it’s growing!

Now do you measure LOA, LOD, LWL, or tonnage? (I vote tonnage)...
Yeah... it's not really easy to get to useful information with such simple polling tools. I agree that "length," in all its versions, seems to be increasing for the median cruising boat. My sense though is that tonnage is decreasing -- am I off on this?

One interesting finding is that, based on reviews of boat data from boats on long-duration cruises, it appears the median boat size has not changed that much over time.

I reviewed data from west coast round the worlders (for another thread) dating back many decades. The median size hardly changed from decade to decade. It stubbornly stayed close to 41 feet. Other people looked at boat data from long distance rallies and found similar results.

So while the median size appears to be on the increase, those who actually cruise long distance/or long duration seem to agree that low 40s is optimal.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It would be interesting to look at that from a displacement perspective.

My gut tells me that “displacement per foot” of “advertiser length” is dropping because 1) lighter weight building practices, 2) “stretching” boat lengths with appendages (scoops, etc), and 3) creative advertising.

ACCURATE displacement figures (what am I thinking!!!) would even out a lot of this nonsense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts