SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Hey, Smack.

I think the purpose of the shakedown is not to prepare the boat, but to test the already-prepared boat. You know, exercise it a bit and see what shakes loose. However, my far-ranging cruising experience is pretty meager, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :D

During the shakedown, I would reef the sails down to every set of reef points to test it all out. But then again, you should've done THAT before leaving too.

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Smack,

Just roll the dice, man. The future is already written. Besides, the sheep on your boat will sing an opera if you're not doing something right. Just ask Jags.

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Smack,

You have to check your through-hulls, too. Head offshore for at least 12 hours, open all of the through-hulls and let them run clean for about 4 hours. Then inspect them REAL close.

While you're doing that, you should test your radio and batteries to verify their flood ratings. Let them both be submerged in seawater for at least 3 hours during the through-hull test. It's important to find out if they'll work in a real "situation".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts