SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can say that again. :)

Looking forward to it. I see you were in several of my stomping grounds over the past decades, from NYC to Newport.
Hi Minnewaska, yes, In Season 2 we explore New York City, then sail up the East River on through Hell's Gate and anchor at City Island, then sail through Long Island Sound stopping at Mount Sinai where we go a tour of Brookhaven Labs, then to the Great Salt Pond in Block Island, then to Newport, then through Buzzards Bay to Onset, MA, and through the Cape Cod canal to Boston and Gloucester. Episode 1 publishes on November 4th and then we hope to publish new Season 2 episodes every Tuesday and Thursday through the Winter. We just settled down for the Winter in Ireland we finally have time to edit. It's about time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great to have the season start. 5 min vid to show 6 miles of motoring is a slow start man. Must not have wanted to shock the system. :)
Hi Minnewaska, I've received a bunch of comments from people who say that they really like the longer videos, but then also a bunch of comments from people who say that they prefer the shorter "5 minute" videos (like broke sailor's comment above in this thread.)

In any case, our Season 2 episodes are going to be generally shorter than our 25+ minute long Season 1 episodes. Hopefully this way we will be able to publish 2 shorter episodes per week all year round, instead of just 1 big episode per week for 4 months straight and then nothing for the next 8 months.

We've been working extremely hard on Season 2 and really think you'll enjoy the adventures we filmed. Next episode is tomorrow (Thursday.) There are some great stories coming your way!

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Hi Drake just watched the season 2 opener very nice and yeah wondering what happens with anchoring or...a berth?
Thanks for your work looking forward to next vids

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Drake,

Agreed. 25 mins is too long. 5 mins is going to be a challenge to balance sailing with sight seeing. I bet 5 to 10 mins is the sweet spot. My vote is to have majority on sailing/cruising reviews, like your documenting the crew agonizing over making that passage to AC that turned out nasty. Pics of AC itself are secondary and can be done by anyone. Looking forward to it.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Great vids! but I want to the "row" into the marina!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
DrakeParagon: S2E01 A Decidedly Different View - YouTube

After raising anchor from the Statue of Liberty, Drake and Monique motor Paragon up the Hudson river to the 79th Street Boat Basin Marina.
Yup, hard to imagine a more miserable anchorage, than right in front of the Statue of Liberty... And, even if you were outside of the security zone, I would imagine you'd still attract - repeatedly - the interest of the numerous NYC police craft patrolling the harbor... :)

For future reference, or for anyone wishing to spend the night in that area without spending the obscene transient dockage rate @ Liberty Landing, it is possible to pick your way into the basin shown behind Liberty Island, just to the south of Liberty State Park, in the lower left of the photo below... A bit tight getting in there, certainly wouldn't recommend trying it at night for the first time, but it's do-able, and very protected once you're inside the basin, very little surge, in my experience... I've heard cautions about leaving the boat unattended in that area, however... At least, one without electrified lifelines, that is... :)

Nice vid, as always, Drake...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now we're talking. Eldridges, considering how to get to shore, etc. Just enough cruising/sailing. However, at this clip, I can't imagine how long it's going to take to get to Ireland.
It took us almost 2 years to get from North Carolina to Ireland. 3 weeks in NYC, 3 weeks in Boston, 3 weeks in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, 2 months in Greenland, 9 months in Iceland, 3 months in the Faroe Islands, a month in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and about 7000 nautical miles of offshore sailing.

Our plan is to make as many episodes as it takes to tell a good story. So as long as it's interesting we'll keep editing. This series is not just about sailing. It's also about the story of us living aboard and immersing ourselves in the cultures of these very different countries. Most importantly it's about friendship.

I'm thinking that here on sailnet I will probably only post the episodes which are clearly about sailing or cruising topics. However, there's so much more to see for people who subscribe to the channel.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.