SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who have run aground, and those who will. I took my Dad out last Sunday for his last sail of the season. Forecast- fog clearing around 9:00 AM, highs in the 70s, wind increasing to 5-10 mph after lunch. Not much wind, but a beautiful day!
We arrived at around 9:30 and I showed him the new slip (which is awesome, we are parked with the big boats now), and we did a few small tasks. Checked the fluid levels, changed the mainsheet, showed him how I was going to hoist him up the mast next time- he still doesn't believe I can do it. One eye on the marina's US flag and the fog.
By 11:00 or so, the fog SEEMED to have lifted, and the flag was starting to flap a bit. Alrighty then! We motor out of the creek, WHERE I REALLY MESSED UP. I always bear off to starboard after exiting the last two buoys, BUT LIKE AN IDIOT, I bore off after exiting the next-to-last two buoys. This was all because the fog was ridiculous in the river. I mean it was like the movie The Fog, with Adrienne Barbeau. I was just about to turn to turn back when I made the mistake.
Being stuck like that is a bad feeling. I tried everything with the motor. Tried slinging the anchor into the channel and pulling us off that way. Tried shifting all of the weight forward, to port, and to starboard. Nothing worked. The tide was not rising. Just as I was preparing to get in the water, Dad said "One more time, just shoot forward straight into the channel."
It worked! We must have found the groove we made when we ran aground. I didn't notice any extra water in the bilge, so I hope there isn't a crack in the keel. But I guess a cold-water bottom cleaning and inspection is in the forecast :(

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
The experienced and the inexperienced! Relative terms to be sure.

Those who have run aground, and those who will. I took my Dad out last Sunday for his last sail of the season. .....

WHERE I REALLY MESSED UP......

BUT LIKE AN IDIOT.....

Being stuck like that is a bad feeling. I tried everything .....

Just as I was preparing to get in the water, Dad said "One more time, just shoot forward straight into the channel."

It worked!:(
Good old Dad! (He has probably gone aground there and knows the shoal very well. Ha!)

Down

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
When you draw almost 5 feet you have go through a channel like you are threading a needle. Especially with a bolt-on fin keel. Glad you did not mess up your boat too bad. Fog makes everything look different and distorts your sense perception.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are usually pretty good navigating the channel, but it was so foggy that I literally didn't see the last set of channel markers. I thought we had passed the last set, but it is still my fault for not checking the numbers. It was dumb to even try to go out past the creek. This is a humbling sport indeed. At least in golf, you can laugh it off as long as you don't hit anybody!
The bottom was about one foot of mud on top of hard bottom. I was able to spin on it by motor. Didn't want to, but I was desperate. The bilge was ok. I just had a horizontal keel crack re-glassed before the splash, so this was probably a real test for that repair.

·
Master Mariner
8,680 Posts
Be sure to check you engine cooling impeller; you probably pulled a lot of grit into the cooling system. This is quite common with soft bottom groundings and if not checked, the impeller could fail without notice.

Reactions: krisscross

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
There are two kinds of people in the world - Those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't. :)

Reactions: PCP

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are 10 kinds of people in the world .. those that understand binary and those that dont ..

glad to hear you got off safe. I am hoping that running into the rocks when I was younger gets to count as my running aground I wasnt driving but I was there

·
Registered
18 Posts
could have been a lot worse , one you could have hiit a bouy or someting steel and 30000 tones could have hit you, chill you havent killed anyone and youll know next time ???? tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts