SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, there really isn't a small plane in my mast, but it sounds like there's a Cessna in there about to take off. In certain wind directions the humming is very loud. I tried pressing against the mast, then grabbing the stays. Nothing worked. It only occurs in strong winds that come across the bow at an angle. (At anchor it is usually quiet.)

Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I took the radar reflector down at the end of our sail. Maybe I didn't tie off off the flag halyard tight enough.

Try puttting a winch on the halyards and see if you can change the sound?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Do you have in mast furling???

·
Registered
516 Posts
Simple fix is bless your neighbors with your sound system...just crank it up!!!!

Better fix is start with winching all the lines down tight.If that doesnt work get used to climbing the stick with DUCT TAPE...will fix any thing me thinks.
Mark

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Our Hunter does they same, cept it's the outhaul on the in mast main, I warp it with a velcro gasket to stop it

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
She does not have in-mast furling.

I didn't mention before, but the small plane sound is really loud. I will try the topping lift. The main Halyard is tight and doesn't seem to be vibrating.

Sorry Smack, all in fun you know. It really does sound like a small plane.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bennie does the same thing. It is the top lift. When you hear the hummm place your hand on the top lift and see if that does not stop it. To stop permanently ease off a bit on the top lift.
Bubb,

Did you make a bracket for your boom, or do you just let the boom rest in the cockpit? Or maybe you are only letting it out an inch.

Regards

·
Registered
725 Posts
whats mounted at the top if the mast? antenna, wind instruments? do they work?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kredit -- I'll try that.

whats mounted at the top if the mast? antenna, wind instruments? do they work?
Badsanta, here's a picture of the top of the mast.

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Mast hums can be a real problem. The C34 was notorious for this. Deck stepped masts are usually worse than keel stepped, and some models have it bad while an almost identical rig & model doesn't hum at all. Has to do with rig tension and wind direction (one theory is that mast groove is the culprit).

If you note tall, thin smokestacks the modern trend is towards spiral vanes to cause the wind to "turbulate" a bit rather than set up a harmonic. You can get some of this effect by wrapping the halyard around the mast below the lowest spreader. This doesn't help much with multiple paired spreader rigs.

It's also a question of owners.

"Doesn't that bother you?"

"Doesn't what bother me?"

"That humming."

What humming?"

·
Registered
725 Posts
Top looks fine. I had an electronic wind speed and direction that did not work well and was making a hum. After replacing, it was fine. It had degraded from sun and bird, part broken and unbalanced. Just a thought.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Brad,
I tied off your Lazy Jack lines to the mast 'tabernacles' when I was last on your boat. Perhaps these small lines are creating a harmonic noise when the wind is whipping up. I was trying to quiet the lines on the mast by bringing them away from it but it is possible the Lazy Jack lines are making some noise in the wind. I also did not like that the slack in the Lazy Jack lines was trying to wrap around the main halyard.
How are you making out with the Jabsco head pump that you removed (at great nasal cost I might add) from the boat?
Do you have an idea of when Brewer's is planning on hauling your boat? I could arrange to be there if you can't.

CalebD

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Sentry Multi Stage 'SM' series battery charger. I can't remember the rest of the mnemonics you came up with.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Caleb,

the mast was makng the noise before we started the winter takedown. It's defiinitely somthing under tension. And it's quite loud when the wind hits the mast at an angle off the bow. I'll call you about the other things.

Regards

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
Bubb,

Did you make a bracket for your boom, or do you just let the boom rest in the cockpit? Or maybe you are only letting it out an inch.

Regards
Bennie,
Since you said that this doesn't happen at anchor. If you loosen the topping lift under sail (really should be anyway), the sail will hold the boom up and out of the cockpit. Then just tighten it again before dropping the main.

Michael

1 - 18 of 18 Posts